• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

hey guyz ! unit 3 bio discussion , doubts in here !!

Reaction score
See wen u hold the beetroot too tightly with the forceps it causes pinching of the membrane resulting in leakage of pigment at low temperatures as the tonoplast in damaged.At low temperatures the rate of diffusion or leakage decreases or stops as the molecules of phospholipid have a low kinectic energy and as the membrane is still intact and at high temperature the molecules of the phospholipid moves with a higher kinetic energy thus resulting in the membrane becoming more fluid and as the rate of diffusion increases thus pigment leaks out. Also, denaturation of membrane proteins may play a part. Yes, and high temperature and increasing conc. of ethanol both increase the % absorbance.
dude thnk you =) but i dont get how at high temp theres leakage nd at the same time high absorbtion rate ??

Reaction score
dude thnk you =) but i dont get how at high temp theres leakage nd at the same time high absorbtion rate ??
Ur welcome :)
Basically, absorbance rate depends on the concentration of the coloured substance. Now at higher temperature there is more leakage of pigment betalin, thus more cocncentration of coloured substance thus giving a higher absorbance rate.

Reaction score
Ur welcome :)
Basically, absorbance rate depends on the concentration of the coloured substance. Now at higher temperature there is more leakage of pigment betalin, thus more cocncentration of coloured substance thus giving a higher absorbance rate.
oh shit thts it =p thnkss =p

Reaction score
umm guyz are the variable to b controlled same as factors to b controlled ? =$

Reaction score
dude wat about the transmission rate ?
Transmittance rate is the measure of amount of light which passes through the coloured solution. When the % absorbance increases, the % transmittance decreases. :)
And variable to be controlled is the same thing as factor to be controlled :p

Reaction score
Transmittance rate is the measure of amount of light which passes through the coloured solution. When the % absorbance increases, the % transmittance decreases. :)
And variable to be controlled is the same thing as factor to be controlled :p
ugh dude =/ !
w8 is it trasmittance ?? crap am so dead =/ !
okay man but when we sit the experiment wat do we detect ? absorbance or tanmitter ??
nd is transmitter = 100 - absorbance ??
dude am so sorry .. my mind is shit r8 now !

Reaction score
ugh dude =/ !
w8 is it trasmittance ?? crap am so dead =/ !
okay man but when we sit the experiment wat do we detect ? absorbance or tanmitter ??
nd is transmitter = 100 - absorbance ??
dude am so sorry .. my mind is shit r8 now !

Transmittance is the light which can pass through the cuvette (containing the solution) and reach the photocell.
u can detect either of them, choose one of them or do both. It doesnt really matter coz some colorimeters have two scales (both transmittance and absorption) while others have one (only tranmittance/only absorption).
To find Absorbance = -log (percent transmittance/100), rearrange to find transmittance. (but i dont think they will give such complicated stuff, only the graph, i guess)

Reaction score
Transmittance is the light which can pass through the cuvette (containing the solution) and reach the photocell.
u can detect either of them, choose one of them or do both. It doesnt really matter coz some colorimeters have two scales (both transmittance and absorption) while others have one (only tranmittance/only absorption).
To find Absorbance = -log (percent transmittance/100), rearrange to find transmittance. (but i dont think they will give such complicated stuff, only the graph, i guess)

uh okaay ! thank you soo much ! =) ;)
=) hows your preparation for tom ?? =p

Reaction score
welcome :D
its okay i guess, just learning the antibiotic shit, hows urs?? :)

=p
antibiotic ??? man its same as antimicrobial shit r8 ?? =/
dude idk hows my preperation i keep forgettin stuff plus gotta solve physics today !! =/ !

Reaction score
yea sorry the same thing :p Same here bio is so annoying :L Oh wat subjects r u appearing for?? :D

Reaction score
yea sorry the same thing :p Same here bio is so annoying :L Oh wat subjects r u appearing for?? :D
oh ! good =p !
mm like everything !! =p bio , chem , physics , math (c1,c2,s1,m1) nd am so failin =p you see i was actin so nerdish when i applied for all those =p .. now i regret =p
you ?

Reaction score
oh ! good =p !
mm like everything !! =p bio , chem , physics , math (c1,c2,s1,m1) nd am so failin =p you see i was actin so nerdish when i applied for all those =p .. now i regret =p
you ?
LOL same here, i also took the same subjects except S1, coz thats offered in A2 :D
But srsly M1 is soo shity. I wasnt present for half the thing soo i think i am gonna fail it. :( I just wish vectors doesnt come. :S
Anyways goodluck for tom. :)

Reaction score
LOL same here, i also took the same subjects except S1, coz thats offered in A2 :D
But srsly M1 is soo shity. I wasnt present for half the thing soo i think i am gonna fail it. :( I just wish vectors doesnt come. :S
Anyways goodluck for tom. :)

haha =p lol s1 is more frkn shit !! trust me !
dude heh vectors rnt tht difficult =p ! see am good at m1 if you got any question ide try to help ya ! =p

good luck to you too ! =)
hey you know wat i guiss well be there for tom ! think it would either be mitosis or toipotency ! since the rest cam in prev years ! =p

Reaction score
sure will ask, i need lots of help for M1 :( I find vectors soooo difficult :'( U noe i always lose all the marks in this question eventhough i noe the rest of the paper. :(
Idk really, but our teacher said there is 99% chance that they will give enzyme practical and the antimicrobial one (the planning part never came), dilutions and colorimeter. But i am sure that vitamin C wont come coz its just came. :D So yea hope everything just goes good!! :)

Reaction score
sure will ask, i need lots of help for M1 :( I find vectors soooo difficult :'( U noe i always lose all the marks in this question eventhough i noe the rest of the paper. :(
Idk really, but our teacher said there is 99% chance that they will give enzyme practical and the antimicrobial one (the planning part never came), dilutions and colorimeter. But i am sure that vitamin C wont come coz its just came. :D So yea hope everything just goes good!! :)

heh ya then its nothin you just need to focus on the way nd the same steps r repeated to every question =p !
dude antimicrobial came in 2010 jan nd in may the enzyme was there =p ! but ya could be anythin =p
planin meaning wat ?
haha ya vitamine c is easy too so sure it wont b there =p=p lol
ya me too =) =p