• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Hey there

IB or AS?

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have no idea what's this but whatever, I'm an igcse student, results after tomorrow yeah I'm freaking out, for next year I can't decide whether to take IB or AS I would appreciate some help in deciding

Reaction score
Welcome To XPC!!!!
I'm also w8ng fr my ig's results ....!!!
If u plan to go to U.K then u should do AS ...it's slightly easier n u tak less subjects ..but it depends on ur grades n career plans

Reaction score
Welcome To XPC!!!!
I'm also w8ng fr my ig's results ....!!!
If u plan to go to U.K then u should do AS ...it's slightly easier n u tak less subjects ..but it depends on ur grades n career plans
Nervous right? I'm dying, and I'm planning to go to an Irish university in Bahrain RCSI if you heard of it to study medicine and they said both are accepted so I don't know what to choose really

Reaction score
I'm nervous (n just saw d MS o_O )
i guess Alevels is btr choice (y)....fr Medical @ Middle-East

Reaction score
I'd say AS is way less stressful than IB. It doesn't require as much social skills, as in, in IB you need 150 hours of creativity action service or whatever it's called, so you need to actively engage in external volunteering work while at the same time going through a syllabus a lot harder than AS. However, personally I think IB is a better option for medical (unless you're going to do the full A-level and not just AS) as I think medical institutes are pretty strict on accepting AS students. From what I've seen also, if a university accepts both IB and AS, usually the IB requirements are harder to achieve than the minimum AS (or even A-Level) requirements (an example would be Cambridge). Another advantage for AS is obviously that it's just a one year course so you wouldn't have to stay an extra year in school like if you did IB. IB is more diverse though and makes you a 'broader' student as they say. At my school, about 80-90% this year did AS over IB, including me, and those in IB mostly dropped it at the end of the first year to go to universities who would accept them with half an IB diploma (basically high school drop outs), whereas everyone in AS got accepted into university since AS alone is considered a course by itself and doesn't require A2. So you might break under the pressure later on in the IB course if you take tough subjects like HL maths/physics/etc. whereas you're pretty safe if you just go for AS.

Just some opinions based on my personal experience, finished AS this year and like you, waiting for my grades this week :unsure: