• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

History Question????

Reaction score
Can anyone give a complete answer or atleast main points for this question..

Q.Why did pakistan choose Urdu as a national language?(7)

Reaction score
okay here is my answer for this question.

One of the reasons why urdu became the national language of Pakistan is its long history.It was widely spread in the mughal period and dates back as far as sultan of delhi.In its early stages it was used by armies and became widely spoken and stood in many parts of the subcontinent,SO it is natural that such a well known and established language would be chosen.Another reason for urdu being chosen was its high status.Some of finest early poets like Amir khusrou wrote in urdu and Sir syed ahmed Khan's aligarh university became a center of urdu.Many books including Quran were translated in urdu so it is considered an important language with rich literacy tradition.Perhaps the major reason for urdu being chosen was fact it was closely associated with Pakistan movement.Sir syed ahmed khan supported it and Pakistan movement was made to protect urdu.The Quaid was keen to promote urdu and saw it as a unifying force..Since pakistan was a new country it was very appropriate to pick a language which had played a part in unifying muslims.

U will be able to get 7/7 on this answer according to me......correct me if i m wrong guys ;)

Reaction score
The Reason Why Urdu was selected as a national language.
1.It has a great literary background (Sir Syed Ahmed Khan) and left indelible impact on every aspect of local cultures.

2.It was the Muslim dominated language from very beginning (from Mughal Rule) and was widely known language.

3.Considered as language of independence and played a main role in the struggle for independence.

4.Some emphatic poet and writers played imminent role in order to promote it.(Amir Khusro,Bahadur Shah Zafar,Shah Abdul Qadir).

5.its a symbol of homogeneity between different regions of Pakistan and has played a main role keeping the nationhood intact.

6.Muslim League and Quaid himself were determined to enhance the interest of Urdu and stated as Urdu a binding force.

7.Aim of adopting a single language was to promote national Pakistani identity.

Correct me if I Something has be Completed.....HoPE iT woRks

Reaction score
Yep both answers look pretty correct!!!!!

Also as it is a past paper question, also try looking in the marking scheme which can be obtained from this website easily.. :D

ive copied this from the marking scheme for your convenience and remember you just dont give reasons you explain them also as it is evident from the marking scheme...

(Part of Marking scheme of may - june 2008)

(b) Explain why Urdu was chosen as the national language of Pakistan in 1947.
LEVEL 1:
Simplistic statement
It was felt to be the best language. (1)
LEVEL 2:
Identifies reasons
It’s the language of Muslims and understood by all Pakistanis. (2–4)
LEVEL 3:
Explains reasons
It carries immense importance for all Pakistanis since it has been considered to be the
language of all Muslims for 300 years. It was the language associated with the Pakistani
Movement throughout its struggle with the British. After Independence it was felt that the
language was the uniting force behind the nation and the government is committed to using
at all levels in society. (5–7)

Reaction score
WELL i have 1 question regarding ayub khan that came in my mind while making tha answer of 14 marks question of ayub in which we are to write which of his refrorms were most successfull???

OKAY in past papers its written agricultural reforms were most successfull but i think industrial reforms were most successfull as they helped pakistan become a devaloping country as we all know industrial devalopment doubled.SO WHAT U GUYS THINK WHICH OF HIS REFORMS WERE BEST?????? :roll:

Reaction score
I thought that industrial reforms were the most important too but my friends insist that the money from industrialization only benefited the infamous 22 families and the divide between rich and poor grew further. So, apparently, the 7% growth rate was of no use.
But the agricultural reforms did generate the wealth needed for industrialization. And yields increased manifold.
(The laws still weren't implemented right though :| )

Reaction score
Funkymariam said:
I thought that industrial reforms were the most important too but my friends insist that the money from industrialization only benefited the infamous 22 families and the divide between rich and poor grew further. So, apparently, the 7% growth rate was of no use.
But the agricultural reforms did generate the wealth needed for industrialization. And yields increased manifold.
(The laws still weren't implemented right though :| )

Yep funkymariam you are correct as no money was with the poor people and although the economy went up it only benefited 22 families.Agricultural reforms were quite successful and were implemented and with its use land was taken away from the landlords

Reaction score
I don't think they were implemented =\
There was a lack of political will, therefore, the land changed hands only in name. Records were tampered with and officials were bribed. And many tenants had been evicted before by landlords who had anticipated these reforms beforehand.

Reaction score
here is one answer....hope it heelps
as well as ayb khn is concerned.....ummm his agricultural reforms were more of a use because they led to more land being available for industries....

Attachments

• urdu.doc
    24 KB · Views: 47
Reaction score
thanks guys on the whole it could be said that ayub's industrial reform proved to be quite successfull but not as successful as his agricultural reforms.......the reason given my funkymairum and other guys will be enough to make my conclusion para finally the answer is completed....THANK YOU VERY MUCH GUYS i have a sendup exam on 5 jan pak.std paper 1 so plz pray for me :)

Reaction score
okay here is my answer for this question.

One of the reasons why urdu became the national language of Pakistan is its long history.It was widely spread in the mughal period and dates back as far as sultan of delhi.In its early stages it was used by armies and became widely spoken and stood in many parts of the subcontinent,SO it is natural that such a well known and established language would be chosen.Another reason for urdu being chosen was its high status.Some of finest early poets like Amir khusrou wrote in urdu and Sir syed ahmed Khan's aligarh university became a center of urdu.Many books including Quran were translated in urdu so it is considered an important language with rich literacy tradition.Perhaps the major reason for urdu being chosen was fact it was closely associated with Pakistan movement.Sir syed ahmed khan supported it and Pakistan movement was made to protect urdu.The Quaid was keen to promote urdu and saw it as a unifying force..Since pakistan was a new country it was very appropriate to pick a language which had played a part in unifying muslims.

U will be able to get 7/7 on this answer according to me......correct me if i m wrong guys ;)
thankx, this relli helped:)