• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Hot and Cold =P

Reaction score
Okaaay this question is about alevel organic chemistry, if u guys were thinking abt something else :lol:

i dont know wht paper this is, but the question is:

Draw the structural formulae of molecules/ ions formed when "CH3CONH - (benzene ring) - OH" reacts with

(i) Br2 (aq)
(ii) NaOH (aq) in the cold
(iii) NaOH (aq) under reflux

Whts the difference b/w (ii) and (iii)? :unknown:

Reaction score
ParanoidAleveler said:
Okaaay this question is about alevel organic chemistry, if u guys were thinking abt something else :lol:

Draw the structural formulae of molecules/ ions formed when "CH3CONH - (benzene ring) - OH" reacts with

(i) Br2 (aq)

cold means at rtp or under low temp
and reflux means heating for long time

Reaction score
workinghard said:
wait i ll draw dem n upload dem...
is katy perry ur inspiration 4 da title?!:p

yes please do! =)

LOL yea! idk all these random songs keep popping up in my head while i study :fool:

Reaction score
princesszahra said:
ParanoidAleveler said:

(i) Br2 (aq)

cold means at rtp or under low temp
and reflux means heating for long time

but how does the structure of the product differ?

Reaction score
ParanoidAleveler said:

(i) Br2 (aq)

Cold NaOH only dissolves the compound ... OH group on benzene ring reacts with NaOH ... since phenols are acidic in nature...
In Hot NaOH and when heated ... the amide bond breaks because the conditions to break the amide bond are OH-/H+ and heat(under reflux) ... you get CH3COO-Na+ and C6H5O-Na+ ... hope that helps :)