• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

How did Physics M/J '17 52 go?

Reaction score
I thought the first question was a bit tricky (to be handled with care), and the intercept produced large variations but overall, I guess it was okay.

Reaction score
I thought the first question was a bit tricky (to be handled with care), and the intercept produced large variations but overall, I guess it was okay.
question 1 was alot trickier, I spent literally 10 minutes on planning what to do , but question 2 was easy.

Reaction score
Question 1 what did you guys write?
Omg for question 2, my gradient was 0.139 but my y intercept was around 5.something but the error in the y-intercept was huge!!! For percentage errors in the end I got 11% in E and 111% in Q. Many people in my school got those answers but Idk.. the errors are quite large.

Exactly. Error in the intercept was pretty big. I got around 50% for Q. Mine was around yours for E

I wrote r as independent and f as dependent. What about you?

Reaction score
question 1 was alot trickier, I spent literally 10 minutes on planning what to do , but question 2 was easy.

I understand. I was unsure about the IV and DV for quite a while.

Something else that was weird was they already gave an expression for K. But I guess we needed to write the one through the gradient, right?

Reaction score
Question 1 what did you guys write?
Omg for question 2, my gradient was 0.139 but my y intercept was around 5.something but the error in the y-intercept was huge!!! For percentage errors in the end I got 11% in E and 111% in Q. Many people in my school got those answers but Idk.. the errors are quite large.
gradient same. E also close enough. Q wrong.

Reaction score
no
What did you get for Q? And what was your y - intercept and uncertainty in y - intercept?
What about q1?
not sure about question 1, I took frequency Independent variable. and I varied it by using oscilloscope. I kept mast constant. I kept decreasing the freq which after rotation, my mass started to move more farther away from center. which tells me that r=1/f

Reaction score
no

not sure about question 1, I took frequency Independent variable. and I varied it by using oscilloscope. I kept mast constant. I kept decreasing the freq which after rotation, my mass started to move more farther away from center. which tells me that r=1/f
You cant vary frequency through the oscilloscope. You measure frequency through it. Frequency can be varied using a signal generator or through the motor itself

Reaction score
I messed up Q2. I used x2-x1/y2-y1 to find the gradient instead of vice versa. Now my Y-intercept, value of E and value of Q and all the uncertainties are wrong because of that stupid mistake

Reaction score
Hey what did you write for q1??
Independent r
Dependent f
Mass constant
Connect motor to a dc circuit
Connect oscillocope aroubd the motor
Connect the motor to the turn table
Place mass on the table and measure r with ruler and set square
Slowly increase frequency until the mass just moves. Observe using pressure pad and motion sensor

Reaction score
I understand. I was unsure about the IV and DV for quite a while.

Something else that was weird was they already gave an expression for K. But I guess we needed to write the one through the gradient, right?
yeah you just had to tell tht about K.

Reaction score
Independent r
Dependent f
Mass constant
Slowly increase frequency until the mass just moves. Observe using pressure pad and motion sensor
you my friend defo getting A*. MA SHA ALLAH.

Reaction score
I got y-intercept around 7. Uncertainty around 3.

And yes, also smooth surface anyone? For q1.

Reaction score
Independent r
Dependent f
Mass constant

And measure mass with balance.