• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

HOW DOES THE PERCENTILE SYSTEM WORK ?

Reaction score
they take the lowest possible marks of the students and plot a graph then divide the children according to the graph's grade

thats what i understood

oh yea and the grades are averagly A=80, B=70 etc because they change due to the response of students (averagely) to the paper
e.g if maximum students scored high marks the A grade would shift up and vice versa!

so thats why its bettr to grade students for them.

Reaction score
HarisShahzad said:
no this is a wrong concept of percentile actually, i used to have the same one. percentile is not percentage taken out from the highest marks. it is the percentage of candidates who scored a greater number of marks than you.
example
if in maths you like score 96/100 but infact 7% of all candidates score more than you, then you will get 93% grade. however if only 2% people score higher than you, your grade will be 98.
this is why in difficult papers, percentile goes low as many people score low. this helps in english and urdu but in maths, it suxs cuz many people score high.
the method that chem master told you isnt valid since there is atleast one nutcase in the world that scores extremely high even in the most difficult of papers. this would mean that most candidates are screwed :p
Nope, this cannot be correct. This method will mean that exactly 10% get an A* and 20% get an A. But in Oct\Nov 2010 Urdu results, 5 percent got an A* and 50 percent got an A.

Reaction score
Haris and Zain are right. Reconsider what you just wrote, perfect1. It makes not a shred of sense. B)

Reaction score
guyz ders nothing to worry bout

il just askn em how the percentile system works

lets see if the cambridge tells us lol!!

i'll post it in this thread then k! :Bravo: every1v happy dappy

Reaction score
shahroz said:
frstly....cn anyone tell me if A* is on 95...scndlii percntyl is finishd..:O

Here we go again,well as far as we all know at the forum we still believe percentile is there ! while for A* i think its 90 and not that 95%

Reaction score
shahroz said:
ive heard A* is on 95 now....a frend told a freind and the frenid told m3
but CIE told us that A* is on 90 however the IBCC board says A* is on 95 !!

Reaction score
i guess its only 95 when u go to IBCC affiliated boards that is when making equivalencies for IBCC boards so now is the problem solved !

Reaction score
no this is a wrong concept of percentile actually, i used to have the same one. percentile is not percentage taken out from the highest marks. it is the percentage of candidates who scored a greater number of marks than you.
example
if in maths you like score 96/100 but infact 7% of all candidates score more than you, then you will get 93% grade. however if only 2% people score higher than you, your grade will be 98.
this is why in difficult papers, percentile goes low as many people score low. this helps in english and urdu but in maths, it suxs cuz many people score high.
the method that chem master told you isnt valid since there is atleast one nutcase in the world that scores extremely high even in the most difficult of papers. this would mean that most candidates are screwed :p
isnt that bias.. :O

asd

Reaction score
guyz ders nothing to worry bout

il just askn em how the percentile system works

lets see if the cambridge tells us lol!!

i'll post it in this thread then k! :Bravo: every1v happy dappy

did they reply? Or you didn't even ask them yet ? :D

Reaction score
example
i don't think that is like that, in that case just suppose u score 92% which in not a joke and from all over the world about 15% students score more than that then what? u will get a B :( ?

Reaction score
I.have a questionthat if I get 79% n A is on 80...will they give A coz its just a matter of 1 percent?