• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

How many Subs in A Levels?

Reaction score
So i just finished IGCSE (Edexcel), and expecting some good grades on 21st August.

I'm confused which subjects to take in A-Levels (Edexcel GCE)..and how many..

I'm thinking of taking Physics, Maths, Chemistry & ICT. Although, I've heard that getting A grades in ICT is quite hard..

My Interest is probably in a field of IT.

I'm definitely taking Maths & Physics.. but about Chemistry / ICT - I'm not sure.

The Question is should i take ICT or not? and if i take ICT should i take all 4 subs? or drop Chemistry perhaps?

Also i've heard that ICT is considered as a 'soft' subject when applying for a Uni..

Last edited:
Reaction score
So i just finished IGCSE (Edexcel), and expecting some good grades on 21st August.

I'm confused which subjects to take in A-Levels (Edexcel GCE)..and how many..

I'm thinking of taking Physics, Maths, Chemistry & ICT. Although, I've heard that getting A grades in ICT is quite hard..

My Interest is probably in a field of IT.

I'm definitely taking Maths & Physics.. but about Chemistry / ICT - I'm not sure.

The Question is should i take ICT or not? and if i take ICT should i take all 4 subs? or drop Chemistry perhaps?

Also i've heard that ICT is considered as a 'soft' subject when applying for a Uni..

If you take Chemistry you can apply in every engineering field. Whereas, with ICT you're options will be limited to fields like Software Engineering/Computer Science only.

Reaction score
If you take Chemistry you can apply in every engineering field. Whereas, with ICT you're options will be limited to fields like Software Engineering/Computer Science only.

I want to take all four of them, but I'm worried that it could affect my grades overall. Like 3 subjects, is much easier compared to four.

Reaction score
I want to take all four of them, but I'm worried that it could affect my grades overall. Like 3 subjects, is much easier compared to four.
Edexcel A Level does not have ICT, CIE does (Applied ICT). For Edexcel you have no option but to take Physics, Chemistry and Math (and an extra subject if you want). For CIE, if you want to have an IT based or Computer Science degree in university then do all four in AS Level and drop Chemistry in A2, and if you want to do engineering then drop Applied ICT in A2. But do at least 4 AS Levels, most of the universities in UK require 4 AS Levels with 3 subjects at A2, you won't be at an advantage if you do more than 4 + US will give you extra credits for an extra AS Level.

P.S: Since you've done ICT in IGCSE, Applied ICT will be quite easy for you, AS Level Applied ICT is only an extension (not much) from IGCSE.

Reaction score
Edexcel A Level does not have ICT, CIE does (Applied ICT). For Edexcel you have no option but to take Physics, Chemistry and Math (and an extra subject if you want). For CIE, if you want to have an IT based or Computer Science degree in university then do all four in AS Level and drop Chemistry in A2, and if you want to do engineering then drop Applied ICT in A2. But do at least 4 AS Levels, most of the universities in UK require 4 AS Levels with 3 subjects at A2, you won't be at an advantage if you do more than 4 + US will give you extra credits for an extra AS Level.

P.S: Since you've done ICT in IGCSE, Applied ICT will be quite easy for you, AS Level Applied ICT is only an extension (not much) from IGCSE.
Thank you for advice, and by the way, Edexcel has Applied ICT (GCE).

Reaction score
Thank you for advice, and by the way, Edexcel has Applied ICT (GCE).
I was going to mention this in my previous comment but, no matter. Applied GCE (Edexcel) is not accepted by most of the good universities in UK, although it's fine with US, but would not help you much to get more scholarship as an extra subject. The rest is up to you.

P.S: Applied GCE and GCE A Level are different.

Reaction score
I was going to mention this in my previous comment but, no matter. Applied GCE (Edexcel) is not accepted by most of the good universities in UK, although it's fine with US, but would not help you much to get more scholarship as an extra subject. The rest is up to you.

P.S: Applied GCE and GCE A Level are different.
If it's not accepted or not beneficial, is Applied ICT (Edexcel) still worth taking it in AS/A2? and how do you know that it is not accepted o_O

I probably plan on studying further, in Middle-East (Most likely Qatar) OR USA.

Still waiting on my IGCSE Results (Expecting A atleast in ICT)

Reaction score
If it's not accepted or not beneficial, is Applied ICT (Edexcel) still worth taking it in AS/A2? and how do you know that it is not accepted o_O

I probably plan on studying further, in Middle-East (Most likely Qatar) OR USA.

Still waiting on my IGCSE Results (Expecting A atleast in ICT)
Universities in UK clearly mention this in their admission policies + You can take it as a fourth subject, but in that case you'll have to register for both Applied GCE and GCE A Level at the same time.

Reaction score
Universities in UK clearly mention this in their admission policies + You can take it as a fourth subject, but in that case you'll have to register for both Applied GCE and GCE A Level at the same time.
Honestly, didn't get what you meant by registering for both Applied GCE and GCE A Level? isnt it the same thing..? As i'll be doing applied ict in AS/A2.