• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

How to find the direction of Alpha and Beta particles?

Reaction score
Ok, so i heard that you use the left hand rule (motor rule) and that the direction you get, you should reverse it. But the thing is whenever i do this in the past papers its wrong. They do not reverse the direction.
Can anybody esplain to me? Thank you all and may 13th of August be raining A*. Hallelujah!

Reaction score
Ok, so i heard that you use the left hand rule (motor rule) and that the direction you get, you should reverse it. But the thing is whenever i do this in the past papers its wrong. They do not reverse the direction.
Can anybody esplain to me? Thank you all and may 13th of August be raining A*. Hallelujah!
See you are shown with the magnetic field direction and the electron direction. Use your left hand rule respectively, you will get the force direction. Then reverse it because electron movement is different from the conventional current.

Reaction score
what will we take for the index finger in this case? :O
the index finger will be the direction of the field. the middle will be the direction of the particle and the thumb will be the force.
BUT! i have figured it out myself. if we use alpha we dont need to reverse the direction because alpha is positive just like the conventional current. But beta is negative, that is why we reverse :D

Reaction score
the index finger will be the direction of the field. the middle will be the direction of the particle and the thumb will be the force.
BUT! i have figured it out myself. if we use alpha we dont need to reverse the direction because alpha is positive just like the conventional current. But beta is negative, that is why we reverse :D
so the direction of the force will be given right?