• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

How to prepare for Chemistry/Physics Paper 5?

Reaction score
Hello everyone. May I know is there any way to prepare for Chemistry and Physics Paper 5? My Chemistry lecturer said we don't need any prior knowledge, but instead she recommended us straight away to do a lot of past years papers. She also told us some knowledge required for paper 4 is helpful in doing paper 5, though it is not a must to do so. Is that enough to do well in paper 5 without notes or books? Can I write in point form instead of in essay structure when planning the experiment?

What about Physics paper 5? Is it the same as chemistry? Thank you for your attention.

Reaction score
hmm yeah there is no book or so..just knowledge from practicals and lot lot of past papers..do the past papers and after correct urself with marking schemes only after if u have a problem seek help from ur teacher..at the approach of exams review and revise all the papers u have worked..the questions are normally repeated..i think that for chemistry its more difficult that physics because for physics the struture is the same every year...yes u can answer in point form or essay as u wish..but essay one is more recommended even if point form is easier..hope i have helped u..if u have any more questions i will be glad to help

Reaction score
hmm yeah there is no book or so..just knowledge from practicals and lot lot of past papers..do the past papers and after correct urself with marking schemes only after if u have a problem seek help from ur teacher..at the approach of exams review and revise all the papers u have worked..the questions are normally repeated..i think that for chemistry its more difficult that physics because for physics the struture is the same every year...yes u can answer in point form or essay as u wish..but essay one is more recommended even if point form is easier..hope i have helped u..if u have any more questions i will be glad to help

Post some sample P5 physics solved explanations for no. 1

Reaction score
Read experiments from the Cie endorsed book there are lots of experiments there which are really helpful for solving chemistry paper-5,s
and as Caro24 said keep marking scheme and examination report in front of you and include all the points from there. at the end youll be able to solve all the past papers by your self.

Reaction score
as promised here is the worked example of p5 physics...the year is november 2008 p5..search the question paper online...here it is
here is the plan
in your answer it should include 1)Diagram 2)Independent variable:(what we are going to change) 3)Dependent variable:(what we are foing to measure) 4)control variable 5)procedure 6)analysis of data 7)safety measures

now here is the answer to nov 08 p5 num 1
1)the diagram is here View attachment 22292View attachment 22293 open it
Independent variable: distance of LDR from light source
Dependent variable:resistance of LDR
control variable:same source of light, same room temparature,same LDR

Procedure
  • the apparatus is set up as shown above
  • measure d(distance) and at the same time the values of current on tha ammeter and v on the volmeter
  • vary d to obtain a set of values of v and I
  • tabulate the values of d/cm,I/A,v/V, R=v/I,(lgd)/cm,(lgR)/ohm
  • plot a graph of lgR(y-axis) against lgd( x-axis)
  • If a straight line is obtained.then the relationship is confirmed

Safety and measures
  • do not touch the bulb as it is very hot and it may burn hands-use gloves
  • carry out experiment in a dark room to avoid stray light
HOPE THIS HAVE HELPED YOU

Reaction score
as promised here is the worked example of p5 physics...the year is november 2008 p5..search the question paper online...here it is
here is the plan
in your answer it should include 1)Diagram 2)Independent variable:(what we are going to change) 3)Dependent variable:(what we are foing to measure) 4)control variable 5)procedure 6)analysis of data 7)safety measures

1)the diagram is here View attachment 22292 open it

Procedure
  • measure d(distance) and at the same time the values of current on tha ammeter and v on the volmeter

Safety and measures

Wow, thats all ? :D
Attachment not view-able !

Reaction score
here is the plan

1)the diagram is here View attachment 22292View attachment 22293 open it

Procedure

Safety and measures

I CAN NOT OPEN THE ATTACHEMENT PLAESE
THANKS