• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

HOW WAS CHEM PAPER 5?

Reaction score
skyfox said:
we are asked to draw "best fit line"/ so it is imposible to draw best fit curve ?

A line does not necessarily mean a straight line... a curve is a line as well... most of my friends and I got into an argument regarding this too... but I think it's alright to get a curve...

Xam

Reaction score
ParanoidAleveler said:
i got 0.41 for the gradient as well!
what did u get for the mass? i got 10.3 g, i think

yes i also got 10.something
it was endothermic coz solubility was increasing.... i got 2 anamolous points at 80 n 90

Reaction score
@zahraahmed ouh.. i got the 10.3 also. but i didnt use any gradient. LOL.. for the anamalous points. What was the reason ?

Reaction score
Xam said:
ParanoidAleveler said:

it was endothermic coz solubility was increasing.... i got 2 anamolous points at 80 n 90

i wrote exactly wht u wrote! lol
i included 2 more anamolous points tho =/

Xam

Reaction score
what did u guys wrote for anamolous point?
i wrote the solid was of higher mass n 2nd reason that it wasnt cooled....

Xam

Reaction score
ParanoidAleveler said:
Xam said:
ParanoidAleveler said:

i wrote exactly wht u wrote! lol
i included 2 more anamolous points tho =/

i dont know cuz thn u had to give reasons for all the points thats y i chose only 2.... bdw i aslo had 2 points outside the line but they were still close

Reaction score
@XAM those 2 close points i consider as anomalous points. I hope the GT would be low.

Xam

Reaction score
skyfox said:
@XAM those 2 close points i consider as anomalous points. I hope the GT would be low.

:( :( :( :( :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Arghhhhhhhh y did i left them :sorry:

Reaction score
guys i just calculated the mass change by multiplying solubility with the given mass...............did something like this but got 10.3 in the end so my ans may be corrct but method wrong.
besides a line is supposed to mean A LINE because if he wanted a curve he would write draw a smooth CURVE through your points just check other papers when he asks for BFL he wants a LINE.

Reaction score
Yeah... may be you are right... but I wouldn't jump to a conclusion because we had to draw straight lines in other papers... I thought a curve was more best-fitting than a line for the given points... and since a gradient question was not included... a curve might just be right too... :) Let's hope for the best... And the mass deposited question was pretty simple... just find solubility at 85... divide value by 2 (since 50g water)... this is the mass dissolved at 85... and then repeat the process for 35... subtract mass at 35 from mass at 85 to get the mass deposited because of a temperature drop...

Reaction score
ya u did the right thing...................but my calculation messed up really bad though i got 10.3
just hope for the best and give your best in the other papers

Reaction score
i really messed up on this paper. even question number 1 i thought I did incorrectly.. how was your Q1 ?

Reaction score
My paper was SO SO bad :(
I couldn't even write the reasons for the anomalies or the reason why it was an endothermic process :(

Reaction score
wel lukx lyk i did da calculation wrng.....
Cn sumbdy plx tel abt da exp as the wordx 'temp range ' cnfuxd a lil!

Reaction score
samy said:
wel lukx lyk i did da calculation wrng.....
Cn sumbdy plx tel abt da exp as the wordx 'temp range ' cnfuxd a lil!
temperature range means the different temperatures at which you will conduct the experiment... eg 20*C to 80*C

Reaction score
SilentAssassin said:
skyfox said:
we are asked to draw "best fit line"/ so it is imposible to draw best fit curve ?

A line does not necessarily mean a straight line... a curve is a line as well... most of my friends and I got into an argument regarding this too... but I think it's alright to get a curve...
A line of best fit is a line that best approximates pieces of data.
A curve of best fit does the same thing, except that it is a curve.

The use of each one will depend on how the data behaves. If the data tend to follow a line, then a line of best fit will be used. If, however, they seem to follow a curve, for example, then you would use a curve of best fit.