• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

HOW WAS PHYSICS PAPER 5 PPL ? HOW WAS YOUR EXAM ?

Reaction score
how the hell did you measure wind speed ? what instrument ? and wat did u use to vary wind speed
how did u measure the wind speed? i dont think it was in our syllabus
I used the wind vane. It's not a very high-tech apparatus but it is useful. The wind vane has a rotating part that revolves when wind blows. So I think if the wind vane is light enough, its rotating linear speed should be the same as wind speed. Here what needs to be recorded is something like time taken for 20 complete revolution. Use the time to calculate the speed. ;)

Reaction score
y
Um I just wrote, do repeats of the measurements of lengths using a ruler, take averages, keep temperature, pressure (and hence volume of helium constant) by filling it to a set pressure level using a pressure gauge to measure pressure, keep length of string constant, and for safety I had noo idea, I was just like be careful not to get ur fingers cut by the blades of the fan LMAO, I mean whos gonna stick their fingers in the rotating blades of a fan

Um yeah You dont have to draw, you could just as well state it

ya i wlmost wrote the same stuff but what abt method of observation?

Reaction score
I used the wind vane. It's not a very high-tech apparatus but it is useful. The wind vane has a rotating part that revolves when wind blows. So I think if the wind vane is light enough, its rotating linear speed should be the same as wind speed. Here what needs to be recorded is something like time taken for 20 complete revolution. Use the time to calculate the speed. ;)

hey thats the seed of the rotation fan not the wind speed :S?or is it the same thing?

Reaction score
hey thats the seed of the rotation fan not the wind speed :S?or is it the same thing?
I mean the linear speed of the wind vane. I put it between the fan and the balloon. So the wind from the fan can make it rotate, and its linear speed is very close to that of the wind.

Reaction score
Um I just wrote, do repeats of the measurements of lengths using a ruler, take averages, keep temperature, pressure (and hence volume of helium constant) by filling it to a set pressure level using a pressure gauge to measure pressure, keep length of string constant, and for safety I had noo idea, I was just like be careful not to get ur fingers cut by the blades of the fan LMAO, I mean whos gonna stick their fingers in the rotating blades of a fan

Um yeah You dont have to draw, you could just as well state it
you could use those ear defenders in case the balloon burst..

Reaction score
i got % uncertainity of 27% and 8%..and what was length for the steel wire???i got 1.12*10-4!!

Reaction score
guys wat was the equation for the first question? and wat was the second question abt? please reply asap

Reaction score
My answers:
Gradient: 142 +- 8
2nd ques: 3.72x10^-4 ---- units: N/Hz^2 m^2
3rd ques: 21.3%
4th ques: forgot
5th ques: 10.7%

Your 3rd ques value should be halved to get the 5th ques value