• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

HOW WAS PHYSICS PAPER 5 PPL ? HOW WAS YOUR EXAM ?

Reaction score
what did u write in additional details?
but if you're using a fan with different speeds.. then why would you calculate the speed of the ballooon? why did every body mix this.. v was the inedependant variable .. you werent gonna go calculating it, you'd give it a certain speed every time

Reaction score
The question said "the speed of the wind" NOT the speed of the balloon, so, I don't think anyone really knows how to measure the speed of wind unless you use a anemometer, but I didn't know that :/

Reaction score
My answers:
Gradient: 142 +- 8
2nd ques: 3.72x10^-4 ---- units: N/Hz^2 m^2
3rd ques: 21.3%
4th ques: forgot
5th ques: 10.7%

Your 3rd ques value should be halved to get the 5th ques value
can we get ecf for 5th ques if we have halved the wrong percentage uncertainity of 2nd ques.? & i forgot to write the unit, it would deduct a mark then?

Reaction score
can we get ecf for 5th ques if we have halved the wrong percentage uncertainity of 2nd ques.? & i forgot to write the unit, it would deduct a mark then?
I'm sure they'd give you the mark. And, for missing the units, you will only get 1 out 2 marks, provided your answer is correct.

Reaction score
Lol. You guys are such geniuses, and the examiner would surely love to read your scripts! :p

For the first question, I placed a fan at a certain distance from the rope of the balloon and directed the face into an air chamber which would open at the balloon. The distance of the air chamber could be measured using two metre rules while the time taken for the wind to travel through the air chamber could be calculated with the help of a stopwatch. Speed is known using v=s/t. The fan is placed at different distances, and so the speed changes accordingly.
The mouth of the air chamber should be large enough to cover the whole of the fan so all of the wind goes straight to the balloon and the experiment is performed in a room where the fan is the only wind source.

For the safety precautions, I wrote care should be taken to not fill too much helium gas in the balloon as it might burst and the rope be tied securely to the slab in the laboratory so the helium-filled balloon does not rise up in the air.

There were some conceptual mistakes with this experiment, but it was the best I could think of really. Yeah, you can thank me later. :p
You guyz are thinking too much...
just use a "wind speed detector", im assuming they wud accept it as we have never studied about any instrument that measures wind speed
plus it was only one mark for "how to measure the independent variable [1]"
there were many other important things that needed to be mentioned about the experiment

Reaction score
Hi guys... I didn't have time to do most of the second question, spent too long perfecting the planning. Bad time management, yes i know...ended up leaving the entire last page blank. But looking at everybody else''s statements now I feel pretty ok about my planning just hope and pray everything else goes well...

Btw my safety considerations were make sure fan doesn't topple over by placing it in centre of table, not edge lol. And something about a screen in case balloon bursts.

And hmm not sure if everybody takes the paper at the same time, I'm from Singapore and we took it at 1pm earlier today (our time)

Reaction score
I laughed so hard after listening this.. a friend of mine wrote the following in safety precautions:
Natural wind may cause some disruptions in the experiment. Hence, all the windows must be closed tight. This might cause in suffocation, so the candidate must move in and out of the room frequently, as lack of oxygen might be hazardous to his health and must also remember that health is more important than any CIE exam's experiment....
P.S he didn't study at all..