• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

HOW WAS PHYSICS PAPER 5 PPL ? HOW WAS YOUR EXAM ?

Reaction score
The gradient was positive, and in Q1, it WAS passing through the origin.
oh yes. right coz it's 1/v^2! Phew thank god
but er, it can't pass through the origin, coz when wind speed is 0, what are u gonna plot on the x-axis which reads 1/v^2 ? 1/0 is undefined..
also theta is 90 degrees, when v is 0, so tan 90 is again undefined. (0,0) cannot be a point, hence doesn't pass through the origin.

Reaction score
but er, it can't pass through the origin, coz when wind speed is 0, what are u gonna plot on the x-axis which reads 1/v^2 ? 1/0 is undefined..
also theta is 90 degrees, when v is 0, so tan 90 is again undefined. (0,0) cannot be a point, hence doesn't pass through the origin.

Ya no origin but proportional

i think saying straight line is enough

Reaction score
My fan was revolutionary, I attached it to a computer system.
From the computer you input the speed of the wind V.
The fan revolves according to that speed and then you measure the angle using a protractor.

Cool :cool: xD

Reaction score

TanQ was inversely proportional to v^2 so the equation we'd get would be tanQ=k/v^2. Comparing it with y=mx+c would give c and hence, the y-intercept to be 0. Doesn't that mean it should be passing through the origin? :/

Reaction score
if we plot tan theta vs 1/v^2, the suggested relation is correct ONLY if it is straight line and pass through origin with tanQ=m/v^2 where m is the gradient. In fact it is not correct because when v=0, theta is 90 deg, in other words it has y intercept. I think that is all the essence of this experiment.:)

Reaction score
I think that a direct propotional graph is ONLY true if it is a STRAIGHT LINE PASSING THRU ORIGN! it is what we used throughout our practicals in As last year and also in O LEVELS too, lol!
And i looked up on the internet and it states tht if a graph has a y intercept it cannot b direct propotion :/!
Nd as tanQ was inverse prop. To v^2 hence for any value tanQ must be direct propotion to 1/v^2 hence a straight line passing thru orign shd b rite!! :/ otherwise tanQ cannot be inverse prop. To v^2 As was stated in the Q!

Reaction score
I think that a direct propotional graph is ONLY true if it is a STRAIGHT LINE PASSING THRU ORIGN! it is what we used throughout our practicals in As last year and also in O LEVELS too, lol!
And i looked up on the internet and it states tht if a graph has a y intercept it cannot b direct propotion :/!
Nd as tanQ was inverse prop. To v^2 hence for any value tanQ must be direct propotion to 1/v^2 hence a straight line passing thru orign shd b rite!! :/ otherwise tanQ cannot be inverse prop. To v^2 As was stated in the Q!

Well lets do it mathematically :
tan(thetha)=k/v^2 rite? imagine V is speed of air due to the fan.
Assuming no air from other source when V=0 ,k=1,2,3,4,5,etc:-
tan(tetha)=5/0,60,7/0 and balllon will make angle of 90 degree.
Which means that it will get a intersept. U can refer to online graph plotter and do it also :)

Boils law have this type of proportionality but dont forget that when pressure is 0 volume is zero because it is at absolute zero but here the Q is not zero when v=o hence u cant take same relation

Reaction score
WAIT people ! we just have to write that if such garph was plotted and IF that was straight line passing thru origin thn the given relationship was CORRECT. Thats it.

Reaction score
WAIT people ! we just have to write that if such garph was plotted and IF that was straight line passing thru origin thn the given relationship was CORRECT. Thats it.

Exactly thts what i wrote but actually it wont be like tht :) thts what im trying to xplain

Reaction score
Exactly thts what i wrote but actually it wont be like tht :) thts what im trying to xplain

Its all about telling to plot a graph of tan@ verses (1/v2)...and if u get a straight line through the origin the relationship's valid!
Why wont it be like that?

Reaction score
TanQ was inversely proportional to v^2 so the equation we'd get would be tanQ=k/v^2. Comparing it with y=mx+c would give c and hence, the y-intercept to be 0. Doesn't that mean it should be passing through the origin? :/

no..it wouldn't pass through origin..it would if it was log smthin against smthin..

Reaction score
Wow!!! Log something against something!! U must b a genius to know that!!! :p

Not a genius..but unlike "some people" i have studied before my exam..and yes..if that makes me a genius..I am one..and it is true.. Tan theta against 1/v square would not pass through the origin..but if it was log theta against log v, then it would pass through the origin..

Reaction score
well if u think about it, the whole question of passing or not passing revolves around the concept of approximation.

1/v^2 will be o as v tends to infinity
and as v increases, the angle tends to infinity.

But well, u can't achieve a velocity of infinity with a table fan or whatever, hence you can't approximate 1/v^2 to zero, and thus tan theta to 0. It only tends to zero.

I still think it can't pass through origin

Reaction score
well if u think about it, the whole question of passing or not passing revolves around the concept of approximation.

1/v^2 will be o as v tends to infinity
and as v increases, the angle tends to infinity.

But well, u can't achieve a velocity of infinity with a table fan or whatever, hence you can't approximate 1/v^2 to zero, and thus tan theta to 0. It only tends to zero.

I still think it can't pass through origin

Dude! Lets finish this chapter! Just clear one thing for me! For a graph to b direct propotion, it MUST pass thru orign or not?
I looked up on the net and it states tht it must but i am still in doubt!! :/

Reaction score
the graph will be a curve NOT passing through the origin since it is not theta against v or theta against 1/v..its 1/v square...

Reaction score
the graph will be a curve NOT passing through the origin since it is not theta against v or theta against 1/v..its 1/v square...
Thats something new there. You know what, **** it. Let the examiners decide. I'm outta here, gotta enjoy my holidats till they last