• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

IGCSE Physics Paper 1 Variant 1

Reaction score
btw it is GPE since it was a thread not a spring or any other elastic thing!!

Reaction score
Well I think it's strain cuz a string does have strain energy which is provides the centripetal force for the pendulum to swing in an arc

Reaction score
So there is a big argument between the question about Diffraction and the one about the pendulum... If this argument had come in the English exam.. all of you would have got 100% in this argumentative essay..
Get over it guys!

Reaction score
EVERY ONE , STOP ! THE STATEMENT IS WRITTEN IN MY BOOK ALREADY! , IT'S OF COURSE GPE ,BECAUSE THE BOOK WRITES MINIMUM G.P.E. AT MIDDLE POSITION AND AT LEFT AND RIGHT , IT'S MAXIMUM G.P.E. WHICH MEANS THERE IS G.P.E.! ! ;)

Reaction score
So there is a big argument between the question about Diffraction and the one about the pendulum... If this argument had come in the English exam.. all of you would have got 100% in this argumentative essay..
Get over it guys!
hahaaa
Sooo true!~

Reaction score
I don't think you can get GPE = K.E +GPE

Thats like saying 2 = 1+2 :S
I wrote strain as well, it made sense are there was a string attatched.
Ppl I have the question paper and I talked to my teacher and the answer to Q 10 which is the swinging thing is GPE and its not GPE = KE + GPE but​
its GPE (at x) = KE(at y) + GPE(at y)​
so I put internal energy but Im 100% sure its GPE....​

Reaction score
On Q17 which is "An engineer wants to fix a steel washer on to a steel rod. The rod is just too big to fit into the hole of the washer. How can the engineer fit the washer onto the rod?
A) Cool the washer and put it over the rod
B) Cool washer and rod to same temp and push them together
C) Heat the rod and place it in the hole
D) Heat the washer and place it over the rod

Which one do u ppl think is the right answer? I put D but after thinking it seems that it could be A or B and not D....
plz help :)

Reaction score
On Q17 which is "An engineer wants to fix a steel washer on to a steel rod. The rod is just too big to fit into the hole of the washer. How can the engineer fit the washer onto the rod?
A) Cool the washer and put it over the rod
B) Cool washer and rod to same temp and push them together
C) Heat the rod and place it in the hole
D) Heat the washer and place it over the rod

Which one do u ppl think is the right answer? I put D but after thinking it seems that it could be A or B and not D....
plz help :)
D

Reaction score
everyone has finished their physics right? coz if u havent then Im not supposed to post any questions :(
I got the paper today from my school as we are allowed to have the question paper after 24hrs of the exam and I did the exam day before yesterday

Reaction score

I dont think so becasue when u cool the washer, it shrinks making the hole bigger and the outside smaller so it would be easier to fit, and cooling rod shrinks it so that would make easier to fit as well....
I hope its D coz I put D :)

Reaction score
I dont think so becasue when u cool the washer, it shrinks making the hole bigger and the outside smaller so it would be easier to fit, and cooling rod shrinks it so that would make easier to fit as well....
I hope its D coz I put D :)
I did it 100000000 times in past papers.. ITS D

Reaction score
what past papers were they?

It doesn't matter, just think about it. If you hate the washer it will expand and be big enough to fit on the rod. It would then cool over time and fit in place.

Reaction score
yea but if u heat it, it expands in all directions, so the hole will get smaller, when cooled, it contracts in all directions so the hole will become bigger

Reaction score
everyone has finished their physics right? coz if u havent then Im not supposed to post any questions :(
I got the paper today from my school as we are allowed to have the question paper after 24hrs of the exam and I did the exam day before yesterday

Oh yes do posttt! ASAP