• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

IMPORTANT IGCSE ENGLISH 0500

Reaction score
IT WAS AWESOME..THE PAPER...............YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >w< THANKS HAOCHEN!!!!

Reaction score
Hey guys, I found this paper okay

BUT 1 thing

You know the first question of the interview, about why he was so fast I commented about his agility, training, speed etc... Determination, motivation and stuff

BUT I forgot to mention about the the safety equipment making the journey easier ! (I thought they already knew this --- How many marks do you think this specific point about not mentioning the lack of equipment to gain speed will lose) I am PANICKING !!!

Reaction score
sorry i dont take first language so i dont know the question and the answer :(

hope others will help u soon :D

Reaction score
Hi MerkYou69 (however strange your username is :p )

The safety equipment might have made his journey less foolish, but it definitely did not contribute to the speed of his ascent.

Any forms of equipment carry extra weight, in fact that is why Potter under-packed his bags, to have less weight acting upon him. Weight decreases speed in climbing.

Therefore, DO NOT WORRY :) Had you written anything about safety equipment helping him go faster, it would have been marked as irrelevent.

If you need any further help just PM me :)

James

Reaction score
For the first point I talked about: Motivation, determination, I made up about his life being based on speed. Climbing is what he loves, he lives for the thrill, and his skill/ability as he was physically strong. >>> I forget to mention LESS WEIGHT = FASTER SPEED (how many marks would I lose)

2nd point about being foolish: Climbing is his passion, gives him self satisfaction, it is his life, and takes no notice of these sorts of comments. His self will makes him determined to do any task at hand. It is his personality which shines.

3rd point about their relationship: Strong relationship, not a partner more of a brother like figure. Friends outside climbing (I even mentioned that he was his best man at the wedding), good relationship, know each others techniques, rely on trust, hold reliance on another to strengthen bond. Know each other inside and out (sort of)

Is there anything else I could have added I AM SO STUPID and I am panicking missing out such a basic point of SPEED and equipment !!! Ahhhh *FacePalm*

CAN YOU RELATE TO ANY *OTHER* POINTS FROM THE TEXT ... There was not much to infer so I just made a few points up, which kind of related to the text. I covered most other points is there anything else which I could have written?

Reaction score
As far as I am aware there isn't a definite 'checklist' for the English Mark-scheme. They award marks for presenting a few related ideas for each and every question. So I doubt you would lose any marks for not writing about weight and it's impact on his speed, you just wouldn't gain marks. So long as you have other ideas and other ways of increasing his speed mentioned, it doesn't matter. Everyone will have missed out something from that passage because there is so much content contained in it and unfortunately there is hardly any time allocated for the exam.

Your other two points (relationship and foolishness) seem to have enough detail and are fine. I like your point about their relationship relying on trust.
And I think you have understood the passage well enough from your ideas.

I did not relate to many other points from the text, since I prefer to answer the exact questions they set us. And also as you state, there wasn't much to infer. In terms of anything you may have missed, I can't remember the passage very well but I can remember making a comment about the dental floss used to stitch his bag (dental floss is quite light and wouldn't affect his weight). However, other than the comments on weight, I think you have made most of the points in the passage.

Hope that helped, and don't worry too much: the grade boundaries in english language are quite low. I think it is around 70% for an A* and around 60% for an A.

Hope you've done well,

James

Reaction score
Only 70% ... I was panicking LOOOOL because someone told me it was 90 and that point about not remembering the weight speed I did not make.

The effects and summary were pretty self explanatory so I think I should be fine in that department, however the interview was pretty much a stinger, due to the fact of little relevance which I included from the passage in my answer :( . Even if the grade boundaries push to 80 I think I should be fine if I do well on the directed writing and composition. I PRAY TO GOD :)

Are you pretty sure that it is 70%, do you have any idea what it was last year ?

Reaction score
Does anyone know the A* for last year ?
For English language, because I think missing out the point of the safety equipment losing weight to increase speed is KEY, and that is a VITAL point which i missed out :( *D.E.P.R.E.S.S.I.O.N* I JUST COULD NOT FIND MANY POINTS RELATING TO THE QUESTION IN THE PASSAGE !!!

however I did make up a few points, and talked about his ability and practice all his life...

Reaction score
merkyou69 said:
Does anyone know the A* for last year ?
For English language, because I think missing out the point of the safety equipment losing weight to increase speed is KEY, and that is a VITAL point which i missed out :( *D.E.P.R.E.S.S.I.O.N* I JUST COULD NOT FIND MANY POINTS RELATING TO THE QUESTION IN THE PASSAGE !!!

however I did make up a few points, and talked about his ability and practice all his life...

OMG i missed out on that point as well....damn it

Reaction score
one of the reasons which i think made him climb so fast, that he is doing it with a partner which is a kind of competition and that and they said he has a manager that promotes him so he will also feel motivated, what do u think guys?

Reaction score
I talked about the partner being used for motivation and help, which could increase speed also.

That without O'Neill the climb would have not been completed so quickly ... What do you think about that :S

Reaction score
merkyou69 said:
I talked about the partner being used for motivation and help, which could increase speed also.

That without O'Neill the climb would have not been completed so quickly ... What do you think about that :S

yeah we will be awarded with some marks for writing that, i guess :)

Reaction score
iKhalid you did this exam in the UK ?

Do you have any idea about the grade boundaries for last year, tried finding them there is hardly any information on them :(

Reaction score
DAMNN i was going write down that point but i stopped cuz i thought it was irrelevent