• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Information needed regarding Cambridge Papers

Reaction score
Hi, i needed information regarding that when cambridge releases its papers,why does it releases 2 papers of each subject rather than just releasing one.As i am confused that there are 2 Paper 1 and 2 Paper 2 of maths,could anybody please tell me that which one is the original paper which students have given in exams and which one is extra?Moreover Is QP:11 and QP:21 of one set and QP:12 and QP:22 of one set?
For Example Maths Papers of 2013:
4024_s13_qp_11.pdf
4024_s13_qp_12.pdf
4024_s13_qp_21.pdf
4024_s13_qp_22.pdf
Thanks for help :)

Reaction score
Hi,

These 'types' of papers of the same subject are called variants. Variants are made by CIE to ensure that candidates around the world don't 'cheat' because of the time difference between countries. You see, the time difference between, say, Pakistan and England is large and if the same paper was conducted in both the countries, it would be easier for candidates to 'leak' information about the papers. So, basically these variants exist to ensure that cheating does not take place.

Also, if you live in Pakistan, then we take the variant 2 of each paper. That means we take Maths 12 and Maths 22.

And yes, Maths 12 and Maths 22 would be one set and Maths 11 and Maths 21 would be a different set.

Hope that clears it!