• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Is Pencil a problem??

Reaction score
Usually depends on the paper , what does it instruct you to ? If it is a MCQ ( Multiple Choice ) then you shouldn't write in Ink , Pencils are the ones for it ( Probably for computer recognition of answers ).

So , check the instructions on the paper , and send CIE a message about it.

Reaction score
Apparently if it's dark enough it's no big deal, because they scan & send it to the examiners, so your main concern should be that whether or not they can read it, if they can't then ur prolly in trouble.

Reaction score
WELL i dont know abt da scanning but it is not a problem cuz they send papers to uk by post they are not allowed to keep any paper more than 1 week.

Reaction score
but the instructions on the front cover of the question paper say write in dark blue or black pen...

Reaction score
Apart from MCQs all papers are to be done with a dark blue or black pen, except graphs, diagrams and rough working. Marks might be deducted for not following the instructions. I don't think they would or should do anything else, but do check out their policies, terms and conditions on their official website.

Reaction score
I remember doing a whole question in O level Maths paper..and still managed to get an A*. Thats how i concluded about marks deduction....

Reaction score
its better to write with pen, pencils are an option for diagrams, graphs. Liked I used pencil to draw organic structure and other diagrams in chemistry paper.
But it might be okay if the writings are understandable. Its best if u contact CIE