• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Is this subject combination ok

Reaction score
I am an AS student.I completed my O levels in science subjects (with Computer Studies instead of Bio. and Add.Maths). By the Grace of The Almighty ,I got 6 A*s 2 As and 1B with A s in Pak Studies and Urdu and B in Islamiat.Now I have taken the usual pre-engineering combination with G.P. But many people are advising me to take up Psychology instead as it may help in admission in abroad universities.However I have no plans of going abroad at the moment and I have heard Psychology is quite lengthy and I don't have a good track record in Essay based papers because my hand writing isn't the fastest due to a slight problem in my thumb.On the other hand, G.P is being deemed as a useless subject by most of my peers as it has only half credit and good grades are hard to obtain. but it can get me an exemption in the Fundamental English paper if I change my mind and do CA and I enjoy English.So should maintain my current subject combination or change it. Also is it viable to apply abroad without a diverse subject if I ever change my mind.Your comments will be highly appreciated. Thank you.

Reaction score
Doing the AS of psychology with your field is advisable.

The AS part is easy. GP won't help u much with engineering abroad. For engineering u basically need to prove ur mathematical ability because that's what u to do at university and to survive u really need to be good at it and therefore they are looking for ppl with strong maths.

Psychology AS is gud. Shows analysis/evaluation skills with diversity.

G.P shows similar skills but it is more about critical communication whereas psychology is more academic.

Reaction score
After reading about your result, seems like you got an A* in English. Look, GP is difficult for those who's English is simply pathetic, not for A* students like you. So please don't worry about the paper being too difficult for you.
MANY people say GP is useless, but that is N.O.T true.I know you said that you have no plans of going abroad, but still I'll tell you this one CONFIRMED fact. If you take GP, and get a minimum grade of even "C", then you'll be exempted from giving IELETS/TOFEL. Seriously. I have read the prospectus' and even heard of MANY universities worldwide that will exempt u from IELETS if u've given GP. Infact most universities will.

And honestly speaking, if u have no intention of going abroad, then it hardly matters what u'r subjects are......because well,for Pakistani universities, it hardly matters if u've done A'level or inter(although I hate to admit this fact since I'm an A'level student myself!) U'll get admission anyways.

Look at it this way, does the inter board offer anything as hi-fi as PSYCHOLOGY as a subject? I mean, puh-lease! But still, don't inter students get admission into all top engineering universities or not? There u go.

Reaction score
hey!after looking at all ths discussion i wold advise u drop psychology as it is quite tough and will also draw ur attention from ur main combination but if u want really diversification of subject so u could opt for sociology as it is quite easy and also valuable...but plz drop G.P as working so hard wo just getting a half-credit is useless....i also got an A in english but my advisors strictly stopped me to opt GP in a.levels...so first of all focus on ur main subjects and then u coul opt for easy subjects like Sociology,environmental management or travel or toursim for diversification...these three subjects are not so difficult so i wold advise to opt from these one rather than psychology..

Reaction score
But bear in mind that for Environmental Management and Travel and Tourism u have to do coursework which is a pain in it's own regard.

Sociology has a lot of choice in it's question paper but most of the people take AS of psychology.

Reaction score
I am an AS student.I completed my O levels in science subjects (with Computer Studies instead of Bio. and Add.Maths). By the Grace of The Almighty ,I got 6 A*s 2 As and 1B with A s in Pak Studies and Urdu and B in Islamiat.Now I have taken the usual pre-engineering combination with G.P. But many people are advising me to take up Psychology instead as it may help in admission in abroad universities.However I have no plans of going abroad at the moment and I have heard Psychology is quite lengthy and I don't have a good track record in Essay based papers because my hand writing isn't the fastest due to a slight problem in my thumb.On the other hand, G.P is being deemed as a useless subject by most of my peers as it has only half credit and good grades are hard to obtain. but it can get me an exemption in the Fundamental English paper if I change my mind and do CA and I enjoy English.So should maintain my current subject combination or change it. Also is it viable to apply abroad without a diverse subject if I ever change my mind.Your comments will be highly appreciated. Thank you.

You should take psychology because GP, quite frankly, is regarded as a useless subject. As for the problem with your thumb, if it's serious, write a report to CIE British Council telling them about your disability with a medical report. They will definitely take that into account. But, assuming you're taking Maths, Physics and chemistry, psychology is a good way to go.

Reaction score
But bear in mind that for Environmental Management and Travel and Tourism u have to do coursework which is a pain in it's own regard.

Sociology has a lot of choice in it's question paper but most of the people take AS of psychology.

Hey ! I'm giving Maths, Phy, Chem, and G.P (not by choice) in my As level. I was thinking of taking psychology too but only uptill AS level. Now I've been told that it's lengthy, time consuming, and a bit difficlut.
My question first would be if it is "plainly stupid" to study a subject (psychology) only till AS level becuase that's what I've been told. I mean, I will get half credit for it right ?
Secondly, I know that A levels are relatively tougher than O levels, but If one gets good grades in O levels (I got 3A*s 6A's and 1B) is it possible to cope up with 5 subjects in AS and then continue on with 3 subjects (Phy, Math, Chem) in A2 ?

Reaction score
I am an AS engineering ent.I completed my O levels in science subjects (with Computer Studies instead of Bio. and Add.Maths). By the Grace of The Almighty ,I got 6 A*s 2 As and 1B with A s in Pak Studies and Urdu and B in Islamiat.Now I have taken the usual pre-engineering combination with G.P. But many people are advising me to take up Psychology instead as it may help in admission in abroad universities.However I have no plans of going abroad at the moment and I have heard Psychology is quite lengthy and I don't have a good track record in Essay based papers because my hand writing isn't the fastest due to a slight problem in my thumb.On the other hand, G.P is being deemed as a useless subject by most of my peers as it has only half credit and good grades are hard to obtain. but it can get me an exemption in the Fundamental English paper if I change my mind and do CA and I enjoy English.So should maintain my current subject combination or change it. Also is it viable to apply abroad without a diverse subject if I ever change my mind.Your comments will be highly appreciated. Thank you.
That depends. I am planning to do either software or civil engineering as my bachelors and masters and I am giving, as A2, Maths, Chemistry, Physics and English Literature. It really depends on what subjectt you find the most interesting and am mist comfortable with. If you want diversity, G.P is a good option but no subject in A levels is easy at all including this one. What are your interests other than engineering? From there I can help you decide which one is the most suitable for you.