• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Liquid "M" !

Reaction score
i wrote it was a sodium compound which could also be a hydrocarbon...would i get any marks for that?

Reaction score
I k ow that alcohol is correct ... but some people say that alkane is accepted............hope so :/

Reaction score
Okay, I just read my chemistry co-ordinators (a phd teacher) notes. It clearly stated that alcohol are inflammable and have ANTISEPTIC smell. :)

Alcohol is the answer, for sure. Though alkane also seems a reasonable interpretation.
Hoping that both r correct. :D

Reaction score
nightowl said:
I k ow that alcohol is correct ... but some people say that alkane is accepted............hope so :/

Alkanes don't smell like antiseptics. I guess everyone here has been to a gas station thousands of times, and everyone knows what alkanes (octane to be specific) smells like :)

The answer can't possibly be alkane, neither hydrocarbon (these are compounds made up of H and C ONLY)

The question carried [2] marks, so it had to be more detailed. I answered with "Alcohol" and "Organic Solvent"

Wondering why I wrote Organic Solvent? The Examiner gave us the part where he dissolves an Iodine crystal in Liquid M. Guess what, He wanted to hear you say it IS an organic solvent as well :D