• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

M1 mechanics edexcel modular exam

how was your paper?

• Total voters
Reaction score
o_O all my ans r different to u ppl!!!!! ohhh god....and i knew dat 45degrees but didnt put it!!!!! but i hav drawn the forces on their diagram....will i get anything from dat... i dont remeber the values but my force direction was towards the pulley!!!:unsure: how much will i get:cautious: they didnt say to mention direction in degrees..i showd it on diagram as an arrow...is it acceptible:(
I think u'll get 1 or 2 marks.

Reaction score
i got the part a AX as 4m and B as 12m... dont know if rite or wrong....
lost life i guess ur method is weak. coz the tensions were perpendicular so u couldnt use this formula??
AX wuz between 7 and 7.5, but u wont lose many marks if u did da method ryt

Reaction score
Perpendicular means only that the Reaction force splits the angle (90 degrees in two). Equating the two components of tension, which share an equal angle simplifies to 2 * T * Cos45 as you resolve with equal tension due to the modelling assumptions made .

Reaction score
It's not 2Tcos45. It's just Tcos45. Because it was a 90 degree triangle.
no, it was 2Tcos45 as the magnitude was straight through the middle of the pulley and as there were two tension's it had to be multiplied by 2, i did a very similar question yesterday

Reaction score
Lol really? I'm not kidding xD_ I'll get a U :)
I am expecting a D. This exam was harder than all the previous papers but I blame myself - most of the long questions that I couldn't answer were ones I have done a long time ago and never revised them because I though they would never come.

I just need to forget about M1. Its over. Also, there is S1, C2, C3, and C4 remaining. Do you have S1 this Fri? Are you ready for it?

Reaction score
Perpendicular means only that the Reaction force splits the angle (90 degrees in two). Equating the two components of tension, which share an equal angle simplifies to 2 * T * Cos45 as you resolve with equal tension due to the modelling assumptions made .
Our answers are same. so it does not matter in what way we did it. I apologise.

Reaction score
can someone explain how they found the time of the motorcycle?? i worked out the time for the car and then added 10 seconds on.... i used u=0, v=22, s=990, and i worked out acceleration with v^2=u^2 + 2as, giving 22^2 = 2 x 990a, and a came out as 0.24, then i used v=u+at, and t came out as 92??? :/

Reaction score
guys u ppl dont know me but this was da worst ppr i hav ever attempted in my life......last year i topped but i dont know wat will happen dis year...not only me but we r siblings in same class who r both toppers ....v need to keep dis legacy....r teachers expect us to get full marks...but HOW??????
It doesn't matter how well u did according to the total marks, if were da best amongst all u'r class members, then u'll still be first and if indeed M1 wuz harder than most other papers, then hopefully da curve will be lower InshaAllah

Reaction score
M1 crushed me today :(...the paper appeared to be normal but it had all the questions embedded in it to drive me crazy.....saw others having same or similar reaction........
If it indeed wuz harder than most of da other papers then hopefully da curve will be lower this time InshaAllah