• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Math D O level exam Oct Nov 2011

Reaction score
Hi,

As some of you might know, the exam for paper 2 of Math D was held today.
I realised that Oct Nov session questions are significantly tougher than May June questions.

However, is it possible that there are geniune problems with the question paper that they forgot to clear up?

There was this questions:
coordinates of A is [0,7]
coordinates of B [6,9]
coordinates of C [12,2]
The point 'D' lies on the line AB,
CD is parallel to y axis.
Find coordinates of D
The problem with this question is that they did not say ' The point D lies of AB produced'
So D must be within AB.

And if you plot it out on graph paper[ they provided in exam], you will see that it is out right impossible for CD to be parallel to y axis .

I am pretty sure this was the question.

It had 2 marks, out of everyone I asked, no one could solve the question.

I know I should have assumed the word 'produced'.
But what do you guys say? will they 'scale' this time?

Reaction score
Re: Re: Math D O level exam Oct Nov 2011

I think that you are overthinking it. I can't remember how I answered that question (no thanks to the no revealing questions until 24 hours later policy which I do not undestand the purpose of)

My solution was simply by plugging in y = 2 (at least from what I remember) into the equation of some line. On my graph I remember line AB being a downwards diagonal line and point C somewhere on the bottom right-ish of line AB (this one I really can't remember). My point D was on the far left somewhere that I could not show due to my graph scale/limited space.

Hopefully I am right :S

Reaction score
Since CD is parallel to y-axis, it would have to be a straight vertical line (x=12).
C is given as (12,2), therefore D must also have 12 as its x-coordinate for it to be parallel to y-axis (whose equation is x=0).

It is also given that D lies on AB (Thats how I remembered the question...am I right? :S), so all you have to do next is to substitute x=12 into the equation of AB.
I got D(12,11), anyway.

Reaction score
hey can anyone tell me that on which grade in A*,A and B?????
Last time on may/june 2011 I heard that A was on 85
is this the same for this time i.e. oct/nov 2011????

Reaction score
yes i attempted that q's and it was quite easier
i got the co-ordinates of D (12,11)
in the next part the ans was that the ratio of AB:AD was 1:2 or 1/2
Did anyone remembered the Qno.8 in section B i.e of a square and a rectangle????
what the expression of the width of the rectangle???? (the first part of this q's)
I guess my ans was 14-2x/2
is this the rite Ans
reply soon

Reaction score
tkumoazz said:
yes i attempted that q's and it was quite easier
i got the co-ordinates of D (12,11)
in the next part the ans was that the ratio of AB:AD was 1:2 or 1/2
Did anyone remembered the Qno.8 in section B i.e of a square and a rectangle????
what the expression of the width of the rectangle???? (the first part of this q's)
I guess my ans was 14-2x/2
is this the rite Ans
reply soon

I got the same answers too :D

So we are on the safe side now :D

Reaction score
Actually i also got stuck for a while on this question. It is impossible for D to be on line AB if CD is parallel to Y-axis. I guess they forgot to mention that we had to produce line AB. Well, I'm sure the examiners will take this into consideration so no need to worry.
As for the investment question, it just needed some thinking to understand that it was actually easy. You just had to find out by how much the money was multiplied for the specific amount of years and apply it to the value in the question. Well, i must however agree that the graph became quite ugly due to the several lines we had to draw.
Additional maths was easier that maths :/

Reaction score
for amaths paper 2 which question did you do: either or or? :D i did either and got 1.18 as the area. also what is your time taken for the relative velocity qsn? Mine was 1.25 hours ((i sat for additional maths 23))

Reaction score
Sorry i sat for paper 22. There was not a single question on relative velocity :S