• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
***amd*** Thank you for your hard work.
BTW you forgot to write the question no. It's 9.b(i).
In IGCSE Maths on the first page it is written "If the degree of accuracy is not specified in the question, and if the answer is not exact, give the answer to
three significant figures. Give answers in degrees to one decimal place."
It is better although it may be not necessary if you write 1744 in 3 sig.fig.
So it will be 1740
But if a question tells you (eg. give the answer correct to 2 d.p), then you should do that.

in the ms it was written the answer... "1739 to 1744.2", though I dont remember the values accurately... but thats ok, and thanks for more elaboration :) and u r welcome.

Reaction score
in the ms it was written the answer... "1739 to 1744.2", though I dont remember the values accurately... but thats ok, and thanks for more elaboration :) and u r welcome.
hey ***amd***, I noticed you used 3.142 instead of using the π(pi) in calculator. So in O level, are you doing a paper which doesn't require a calculator.

Reaction score
hey ***amd***, I noticed you used 3.142 instead of using the π(pi) in calculator. So in O level, are you doing a paper which doesn't require a calculator.
in our Paper 1, we are not allowed calculator, questions are enough tricky... In paper 2 we can use it :) and.... in O level standard value for pie is 3.142.

Reaction score
in our Paper 1, we are not allowed calculator, questions are enough tricky... In paper 2 we can use it :) and.... in O level standard value for pie is 3.142.
In IGCSE p1, p2, p3, p4, in all of papers we should use calculator.
I see there's no much difference in IGCSE Maths and O level Maths, except for Add Maths.
On the first page it is written "For π, use either your calculator value or 3.142"

Reaction score
snailey, I dont think there will be any need to explain anymore, but if you feel something feel free to ask me or this man too Fayax555 :)
here you go...
CORRECTION PLZ: *EXPLAINING THE FIGURE "3000CM^3/MIN" GIVE THAT 3L OF WATER...*
View attachment 32452

Thank you so much! You made it really easy to understand. :)
Can you do one more favor please? How do we do the 9. b ii) part?
Thanks a ton!

Reaction score
Thank you so much! You made it really easy to understand. :)
Can you do one more favor please? How do we do the 9. b ii) part?
Thanks a ton!
Note: There may be different methods to do this question.
Imagine that the circular pool is a cylinder.
In this question it is asked we should write in 'cm'.
So lets change the other units in to cm.
12Litres = 12000cm^3 (volumes are always in cubic units)
5millimetres=0.5cm
When 12000cm^3 of water(volume) is emptied to the pool, the water level rises by 0.5cm(height).
Formula for finding volume of a cylinder is
π x r^2 x h = Volume
We know the values of 'h' and 'V'. radius is what we need.
π x r^2 x 0.5 = 12000
r^2 = 12000/(π x 0.5)
r = square root of [12000/(π x 0.5)]
= 87.40387
=87 cm (correct to nearest cm)
Remember you should write the answer correct nearest 'cm' or you may lose marks. Because it is given in the question.
If you have any doubts you can ask me or you can ask ***amd***.

Reaction score
MATHS DOUBTS HERE !!!
q.) Jamie is using the formula v=u-at in a physics experiment. He measures u as 23 to 25f and t as 4.9 to 1dp(1 decimal place) Work out the lower and upper bounds for v

Reaction score
MATHS DOUBTS HERE !!!
q.) Jamie is using the formula v=u-at in a physics experiment. He measures u as 23 to 25f and t as 4.9 to 1dp(1 decimal place) Work out the lower and upper bounds for v
Can you give me a link to the paper or just tell me subject code with year and paper no.

Reaction score
Its not there in any of the papers ... i found it from my assignment sheets ..
and btw ... i have many such doubts .. it would be good if we communicate through email or facebook