• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Mathematics (9709)/9709_s03_qp_6.pdf
Hey guys...Can anyone explain well number 5ii and 5 iii?????Thanx![/quote]
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Mathematics (9709)/9709_s12_qp_62.pdf
Question 5ii and iii.
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/...S Level/Mathematics (9709)/9709_s10_qp_62.pdf
number 6 i and iii?
I know the answers since they are given in the marking scheme..but I don't understand how to get them.

Reaction score
∫ 2/ u(4-u)
by partial fractions
A/ u + B/ 4-u
((((A(4-u) +B(u)))) / u(4-u)
4A -Au +Bu
compare with 2/ u(4-u)
the denominator eliminates... and we have two equations
a-b=0 since there is no term in u---i
4A =2 the term without variable
A= 1/2
b=1/2
then 1/2(u) + 1/2(4-u) for the limits 2 and 1
1/2 ln u + 1/2 ln (4-u)
1/2 ln ( u +(4-u)(-1)) note that the -1 is the differential of 4-u
minus means to divide in log
so 1/2 ln ( u/ (4-u))
out limits 2 and 1
1/2 ln (2/4-2) -1/2 ln (1/4-1)
1/2ln 1 - 1/2 ln 1/3 note that ln 1=0
0 -1/2 ln 1/3
-1/2 ln (3^-1) by log propery the power would come down
-(-1/2 ) ln 3
1/2 ln 3
:) sorry abt the complex numbers ive completely forgotten em ... dun frgt to pray fr me
:)
Thank you so much for ur help- but, umm... u solved the wrong question. :/
I don't know how to do the integration of question 5.

Reaction score
HEY YOU ARE TOO AWESOME .. you are just being modest :p

Well I hope P3 is easy.. cuz next year Physics is going to kill me.. I found AS physics hard.. what will A2 Physics do to me -,-
You'll like A2 Physics (hopefully)... me and my friend found As hard too and this year, the As part seems so easy and A2 is interesting too, except the applications part. Insha'Allah you'll find it good and easy!

Reaction score
You'll like A2 Physics (hopefully)... me and my friend found As hard too and this year, the As part seems so easy and A2 is interesting too, except the applications part. Insha'Allah you'll find it good and easy!

Thanks for that.. That relieves me a little :) I hope so too.. Insha`Allah :)

Reaction score
p3 if you get a good teacher 6months are enuff fr prep... obv u go out of practice very easily in maths :/

That's the problem.. Going out of practice in maths is v. v. easy.. I mean i left stats for 6-7 days and i have totally forgotten Permutation and Combination in Statistics :(

Again the teacher.. We don't have a 'very good' teacher at our school.. who'd you recommend to study maths from in Karachi?

I have heard that Sir Zeeshan is pretty impressive for maths. Any suggestions? I'd only need the teacher for P3.. I can manage M1 on my own.

Reaction score
I cant get the argument of u^2. And yeah part 2. Thank you! :)

Argument of u^2 is found by multiplying the arg(u) by 2.

The picture is a bit unclear
But you have to mark the points u and u^2.. then make a perpendicular bisector of the line joining these two points.
And make a circle with centre (0,0) and radius 2.
Shade the part to the right of the bisector, and inside the circle

Attachments

• 2013-05-15 19.49.31.jpg
    2013-05-15 19.49.31.jpg
    716.1 KB · Views: 16
Reaction score
Argument of u^2 is found by multiplying the arg(u) by 2.

The picture is a bit unclear
But you have to mark the points u and u^2.. then make a perpendicular bisector of the line joining these two points.
And make a circle with centre (0,0) and radius 2.
Shade the part to the right of the bisector, and inside the circle
The argument of u is -3π/4 in the ms and the argument of u^2 is π/2...

Thank You for the drawing! May Allah bless you with awesomeness in this life and in the hereafter!

Reaction score
That's the problem.. Going out of practice in maths is v. v. easy.. I mean i left stats for 6-7 days and i have totally forgotten Permutation and Combination in Statistics :(

Again the teacher.. We don't have a 'very good' teacher at our school.. who'd you recommend to study maths from in Karachi?

I have heard that Sir Zeeshan is pretty impressive for maths. Any suggestions? I'd only need the teacher for P3.. I can manage M1 on my own.
yes he is awesome :D plus he repeats the entire course three times :)