• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
here is a question, i get the answer correct but still couldn't get how i did it.
A shopper picks up a 2kg packet of rice with the thumb and index finger of one hand. the coefficient of friction between her fingers and the wrapping is 0.3. What horizontal force must she exert to prevent the packet from slipping?

Reaction score
Can someone help me with this 1) solve to correct 3 siginificant figures e^x + e^(2x) = e^(3x)

2) Solve ln(x+2) = 2+Ln X

asn2) ln(x+2) - lnx = 2
ln [(x+2) / x] = 2
(x+2)/ x = e^2
x+2 = xe^2
x+2 = 7.39x
2 = 6.39x
x=0.313

Reaction score
Can someone help me with this 1) solve to correct 3 siginificant figures e^x + e^(2x) = e^(3x)

2) Solve ln(x+2) = 2+Ln X
ans1) assume e^x = y
y + y^2 = y^3
[y^3] - [y^2] - [y] = 0
y (y^2 - y - 1) = 0
y = 0
y = -0.62, 1.62
e^x = y
e^x = 0 , 1.62, -0.62
ln(0) and ln(-0.62) is not possible
x=ln1.62
x = 0.482

Reaction score
Asa,
can anyone please explain the entire vectors topic for paper 3?
about the equation of a line, equation of a plane, equation of the normal etc.?
some notes would also be greatly appreciated. i have done all the topics for paper 3 but this one has literally trolled me very much!
PLZ HELP!

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
Asa,
can anyone please explain the entire vectors topic for paper 3?
about the equation of a line, equation of a plane, equation of the normal etc.?
some notes would also be greatly appreciated. i have done all the topics for paper 3 but this one has literally trolled me very much!
PLZ HELP!
Waalaikumassalam wr wb!

true that....i found this vectors and even complex numbers...now I find 'vectors' better though...but complex numbers i still need some help....

Check these for 'vectors'.

Find more, here. It's a different syllabus. I checked complex numbers too, under the heading FP1 or 3 something like that...and it was exactly as ours...

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
bcz this question involving friction and horizontal force seems too hard and i m not sure whether its part of math O level syllabus or not......
Assalamoalaikum wr wb...
Actually this is the A levels section. And this question is for a levels too not o levels :)

Reaction score
iam having difficulty in A2 vectors please can you help me with the resources you guys have used

Reaction score
Assalamoalaikum wr wb...
Actually this is the A levels section. And this question is for a levels too not o levels :)
o thanks God...... i will never choose math in a levels and thank u cz i was seriously thinking to opt for A level math.....

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
Assalamoalaikum wr wb!
iam having difficulty in A2 vectors please can you help me with the resources you guys have used
Check my post above yours. I've posted the link to notes for vectors.
o thanks God...... i will never choose math in a levels and thank u cz i was seriously thinking to opt for A level math.....
Not seriously. You'll be surprised to know that I've taken maths in alevels just cuz I like it. :p
And Alhumdulilah that I don't find it difficult.

Reaction score
Reaction score
ASA,
can anyone please tell me how to know in splitting into a partial fraction, the original one is proper or improper?
for eg. how do we know that (x^2+3x+3)/(x+1)(x+3) is an improper fraction?

Reaction score
Hello guys! I'm new to the XtremePapers forum as well as to CIE. I was just some self-studying on "representation of data" and I encountered the Histograms topic. Do we have to draw Histograms (the bar chart sort) for the paper (63, Probability and Statistics 1)? Or do we just have to calculate the frequency, height, class width?

-IGNORE THIS IF HISTOGRAMS ARE NOT MEANT TO BE DRAWN IN THE EXAM- If so, for the data of speed (45-60, 60-75, 75-90, 90-105, 105-120, over 120), Class Boundaries - 44.5 </ m < 60.5 , 59.5 </ m < 75.5 etc...
How would be represent the data? With the overlap of class boundaries?

Also, what diagrams will we be meant to draw for the paper? (as in, probability tree, stem-and-leaf diagram etc?)

Thanks! :D

Reaction score
both the functions are equal, so,
k-x = 9/(x+2)
(k-x)(x+2) = 9
kx + 2k - x^2 - 2x= 9
re-arrange to form -x^2 - 2x + kx +2k - 9= 0
i.e. x^2 +2x -kx -2k+9= 0
compare wid form ax^2+bx+c=0
as we noe k is a constant (it can b any nmbr)
we can simplify it to, x^2 + (2-k)x + (-2k+9) =0

two real roots so the discriminant must be equal to zero.
b^2 - 4ac =0
where a is 1, b is (2-k), and c is (-2k+9)
this gives us another equation.
(2-k)^2 - 4(1)(-2k+9) =0
4 - 4k +k^2 - 36 +8k =0
k^2 +4k _32 =0
solving it, we get k is either 4 or -8

when we have the constant k, we can find x i.e. the roots of the equation. this can be done using the formula -b/2a
when k=4, b is 2-4 = -2 so, -(-2)/2(1) gives the root 1
when k=-8 b is 2-(-8) = 10, so, -(10)/2(1) gives the root -5

hope its not that messy.

Reaction score

Here’s how it goes:

They say two equal roots, this means that ( b2-4ac = 0)

equate the equations : k – x = 9/ x + 2

cross multiply and you get : 9 = (k – x) (x + 2 )

Expand to get: 9 = kx + 2k – x2-2x

Collect like terms and make it = 0

X2+ 2x – kx – 2k + 9 = 0

Now use ( b2-4ac = 0) with b as (2 – k) and c as ( -2 + 9) and a=1 and you’ll get

K2+ 4k – 32 = 0

(k + 8) (k – 4)

Therefore, K1= -8 and K2=4

Replace K in the original equations, once with the value of -8, and once with the value of 4

You’ll get root 1
1)
X2 – 2x + 1 = 0 , (x -1)2=0 , x=1

root 2
2)
X2 + 10X +25 = 0 , (x +5)2=0, X= -5

I am very poor at explaining and thats why I ask at the end
does that make any sense?? o_O o_O

Reaction score
ASA,
can anyone please tell me how to know in splitting into a partial fraction, the original one is proper or improper?
for eg. how do we know that (x^2+3x+3)/(x+1)(x+3) is an improper fraction?
Aw com´on u otter no that an improper one is when the part in the numerator has an exponential equal to or greater than that of the denominator