• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
when lets say, u are given...a fixed nmber of trial eg a dice is thrown 200 times.... use a suitable approximation to find the probability that more than 60 times it landed on a 3..... or when u hv all the binomial related data ie; number of trials....probability of success and failure...and u need to find the probability of a large event.......
u mean that they give to me a large fixed number of trials and i need to find the probability of a smaller number so we use in this case continuity correction :D ??

Reaction score
box-and-whisker plots can be drawn eithr horizontally or vertically right ???
cuz in class i've done vertically but in the mark scheme its always horizontal.
any help is appreciated. :)

Reaction score
in normal distribution if for example its given to find the probablity of X>35 and mean = 30 and variance = 1.5. sometimes it takes it as 35-30/1.5 and sometimes 35.5-30/1.5 .. why is that ??
the values are just random.

Reaction score
u mean that they give to me a large fixed number of trials and i need to find the probability of a smaller number so we use in this case continuity correction :D ??

http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/...S Level/Mathematics (9709)/9709_w11_qp_61.pdf
Q1 look at this question.... u hv fixed nmber of trial.... probability of success and failure....all the data fr binomial...u need to find the probability for more than 210....u jst cant add 0 to 210 ways.....an approximation is needed....hence u cnvrt frm binomial to normal.....

Reaction score
in normal distribution if for example its given to find the probablity of X>35 and mean = 30 and variance = 1.5. sometimes it takes it as 35-30/1.5 and sometimes 35.5-30/1.5 .. why is that ??
the values are just random.
thats continuity correction its being discussed all over the last few pages its always applied when you convert binomial into normal usually when its written in the question use suitable approximation then its applied

Reaction score
http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Mathematics (9709)/9709_w11_qp_61.pdf
Q1 look at this question.... u hv fixed nmber of trial.... probability of success and failure....all the data fr binomial...u need to find the probability for more than 210....u jst cant add 0 to 210 ways.....an approximation is needed....hence u cnvrt frm binomial to normal.....
ahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa thank u so much now i understood so we use the cc when u need to find the probability of a smaller number in relative to a larger fixed number am I right?