• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
you dont actually need calculus to do it
After wasting so much time, i have learned the chapter of centre of mass.
I did the firet part.mit wasn't difficult. But couldn't do the socond part. And i have to idea how it has to be done. I have reached the equations present in marking scheme but they have assumed 0.36 to be the centre of mass of the new cylinder. And i can't figure out how and why. A lot of time has been wasted so now i am moving to my real studies.

Reaction score
I did the firet part.mit wasn't difficult. But couldn't do the socond part. And i have to idea how it has to be done. I have reached the equations present in marking scheme but they have assumed 0.36 to be the centre of mass of the new cylinder. And i can't figure out how and why. A lot of time has been wasted so now i am moving to my real studies.
your try is much appreciated!

Reaction score
This question is not from past papers it's from advanced level statistics by J.crawshaw and chambers.
Page no
Page 377 q6 and 9.
Q6)bags of flour packed by a particular machine have masses which are normally distributed with mean of 500g and standard deviation of 20g.2% of the bags are rejected for being underweight and one percent of the bags are rejected for being overweight?between what range of values should the mass of a bag of flour lie if it has to be accepted.

Q9)mean=400 and standard deviation is 8
A)find the limits within which the central 95% of the distribution lies.
B)find the inter quartile range of the distribution.

Plz solve these questions.thanks a lot!!

Reaction score
your try is much appreciated!
PIC_0839.JPG

Reaction score
I would try to answer any question posted here only if the link to the paper is attached or the snapshot of the question is attached.

Reaction score
Hey :)
I would try to answer any question posted here only if the link to the paper is attached or the snapshot of the question is attached.

Can you please solve this Statistics 1 question on probability? Your help will be much appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• 20140304_191544.jpg
    20140304_191544.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
Reaction score
Hello Everyone! :)
Kindly please solve this Statistics 1 question on probability.
Thanks

Attachments

• 20140304_191544.jpg
    20140304_191544.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 26
Reaction score
i have not done S1. i will use my o level knowledge to do it.
(i) if anyone wins the first one, the probability of the same person winning the game is clearly 1/2
(ii) there's only one way this can happen. the one who wins the first one loses the second and third. so it is 1/2 * 1/2 = 1/4
(iii) i guess there is again only one possibility: first he wins, second loses, third wins and fourth wins. so 1/2 * 1/2 * 1/2 = 1/8
(iv) well win lose win lose win is the only possibility as any other way the game will end just there. it will be by sequence (1/2)^4

there is no way the game can go on after 5 games.
the cost will be i guess 18/100.

Reaction score
i have not done S1. i will use my o level knowledge to do it.
(i) if anyone wins the first one, the probability of the same person winning the game is clearly 1/2
(ii) there's only one way this can happen. the one who wins the first one loses the second and third. so it is 1/2 * 1/2 = 1/4
(iii) i guess there is again only one possibility: first he wins, second loses, third wins and fourth wins. so 1/2 * 1/2 * 1/2 = 1/8
(iv) well win lose win lose win is the only possibility as any other way the game will end just there. it will be by sequence (1/2)^4

there is no way the game can go on after 5 games.
the cost will be i guess 18/100.

the answers given do not follow the required proper technique to solve S1 questions, however they seem to be correct except the last part

Reaction score
the answers given do not follow the required proper technique to solve S1 questions, however they seem to be correct except the last part
last one you mean cost? i just wanted to help. i am at the As level only. i have 'officially' only done P1 in school and i am doing P3, M2 and S1 questions just for helping. if you don't get it, i am wrong or it offends you in any way, I am very sorry.