• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Maths Paper 3H May 2013

Reaction score
What was your answer to the question about London Marathon Runners? The one about their birthdays?
I don't remember well, but it was a probability question... Example: 357 850 runners are participationg in the London Marthon competion at April 17 2010. How many of them may have their birthday on that same date.
For me I wrote a comment: " how can they run the same day they are born ? -.- " .... Then I crossed it out. Really, the question annoyed me.
If you have an answer to it , it's okay to write the answer XD

Reaction score
What was your answer to the question about London Marathon Runners? The one about their birthdays?
I don't remember well, but it was a probability question... Example: 357 850 runners are participationg in the London Marthon competion at April 17 2010. How many of them may have their birthday on that same date.
For me I wrote a comment: " how can they run the same day they are born ? -.- " .... Then I crossed it out. Really, the question annoyed me.
Hi! Mr. NoNo, in fact you made me laugh. The question was not meant as you understood. The question was something like this " In 25 April 2010, 376 490 have participate the London Marathon. Calculate the probability that some of them born on that day?".
This question is about probability and it is very tricky. I found it hard at the first time when i saw the question. when i have finished answering the whole paper, i came back to the question. After a while of frustration, i thought that a person can born a year on one day (i thought of a year and a day), so i wrote 365 (days) as the whole year. Then i wrote 1/365 multiplied by the given number and rounded the answer to the nearest whole number ( because i got a result that contain a decimal number).
I don't know whether i was right or wrong but instead of leaving it blank i thought of writing something even if it was wrong. There are some other questions that i found hard in maths but were very little. Have you done Physics? and what are you expecting from Chemistry?
If i was the one who is marking your paper i might have given you A* because you are funny if you crossed it out and wrote "how do they run on the same day they were born".
Wish you a good luck in your grade.

Reaction score
I got something like 103 (to 3 SF)
Say it was 36000 people, I did 36000/365.... Obviously 36000 wasnt the right number, but I did number of people over number of days in a year

Reaction score
Hi guys, I did that value given as the number of runners divided by 366. Lol .. I didn't know how many years a leap year had! But I am really sure that edexcel doesn't expect us to know that so I hope it will be overlooked and I got 102 as my answer. I know that if u use 365 you get like 102.8 but just think.. You can't round of a person when that person is .8 even if it's an estimate so I think it's 102 but anyway... We'll have to wait and see ... The word estimate could have meant rounding up everything to whole numbers such as 40000 divided by 400 so it's 100 runners.

Reaction score
I did 1/365 which is the probability of any person having their birthday on that day, and then timesed it by 37527, which was the number of runners (and yes I'm sure that's the number that was written on the paper because I can remember things like that). That gave me an answer of 102.8136986 which i rounded up to 103 (to 3 s.f). I thought that the whole "estimate" part of the question was because it was probability and the whole point of probability is that it is an estimation, although I do have a really nerdy friend (no offense or anything) who rounded it to 1/400 x 40000.
Hope this is of some help,
CaityCat
xx

Reaction score
Yes, I did the same.
1/365 * (the # they gave). my answer was, for example, 208.8, then i would write 208 as my final answer, because you can't have 0.8 of a person :)
How was physics guys?
And one question for biology, in the syllabus they didnt say anything about knowing what prophase, metaphase, anaphase and telophase is. So should i not learn this??
Thanks!
Hi, if it isn't mentioned in the syllabus, then you don't need to know it!
Hope this helps :)
CaityCat

Reaction score
I did 1/365 which is the probability of any person having their birthday on that day, and then timesed it by 37527, which was the number of runners (and yes I'm sure that's the number that was written on the paper because I can remember things like that). That gave me an answer of 102.8136986 which i rounded up to 103 (to 3 s.f). I thought that the whole "estimate" part of the question was because it was probability and the whole point of probability is that it is an estimation, although I do have a really nerdy friend (no offense or anything) who rounded it to 1/400 x 40000.
CaityCat

Reaction score
They might give you the full mark considering your answer is correct and you have shown some working. hope for the best!

How was your physics though? and can you answer my question about regarding biology please? Thankss :D
Oh .. I personally don't like biology at all! But it's okay.. You can ask and I'll try and help you out :D plus it's good revision

Reaction score
Heyy! Are you sure about this? In the class my teacher taught us, but i really didnt pay attention so yeah ;P
and do you do IGCSE edexcel biology? Im doing it so yeah :)
Don't worry guys.. Nothing I mean nothing at all can come out of the specification and I want to give you some good advice!! If you have the chemistry revision guide nothing can stop you from scoring above 100 in paper 1C . That book is just amazing! Run down to a bookshop and get it and trust me you'll be pleased!

Reaction score
CaityCat

Yes, you're so called nerdy friend might be right! Because the word estimate keeps on ringing in my head. But we'll just have to wait and see :p

Reaction score
Which chem guide? The official one from edexcel? Yes, i have that already, thanks :)
Did you check the specification? It literally says the most common things should be understood ( for inheritance and variation), and i do. but nothing really about the complicated stuff. Im really scared that the hard things will come and then its gonna be messed up.
Hopefully, the biology exam will be very easy :)
Relax :p it will be okay.. I don't have the biology revision guide so I can't say how it is but the textbook seems good

Reaction score
Which chem guide? The official one from edexcel? Yes, i have that already, thanks :)
Did you check the specification? It literally says the most common things should be understood ( for inheritance and variation), and i do. but nothing really about the complicated stuff. Im really scared that the hard things will come and then its gonna be messed up.
Hopefully, the biology exam will be very easy :)

Biology is easy , more than half of it is already done if you take Human Biology too and yea i have the revision guide , its not that helpful , copy and pasted from the book , it explains some concepts a little in more detail . Just memorise everything , in edexcel they test how good is your memory .
I'm scared for chemistry because i just cant memorise all the temperature and pressure ranges and catalyst and yada yada .

Reaction score
Hi! Mr. NoNo, in fact you made me laugh. The question was not meant as you understood. The question was something like this " In 25 April 2010, 376 490 have participate the London Marathon. Calculate the probability that some of them born on that day?".
This question is about probability and it is very tricky. I found it hard at the first time when i saw the question. when i have finished answering the whole paper, i came back to the question. After a while of frustration, i thought that a person can born a year on one day (i thought of a year and a day), so i wrote 365 (days) as the whole year. Then i wrote 1/365 multiplied by the given number and rounded the answer to the nearest whole number ( because i got a result that contain a decimal number).
I don't know whether i was right or wrong but instead of leaving it blank i thought of writing something even if it was wrong. There are some other questions that i found hard in maths but were very little. Have you done Physics? and what are you expecting from Chemistry?
If i was the one who is marking your paper i might have given you A* because you are funny if you crossed it out and wrote "how do they run on the same day they were born".
Wish you a good luck in your grade.
Hello Mr. Haajaa
And yes, I thought it was something about the days of the year but because I don't how many days are there in a year... I became angry at the question XD
Now that I think about it, perhaps it's probability along the branches... first branch the month, second branch the day.. But should we put the year in the case where this is the right answer :/ idk... Even my Math teacher didn't get the question.
I don't take Physics and for Chemisty I did it today, alhamdulilah it was good =)
Lol at the examiner (sorry for replying late x_x)

Reaction score
Your chemistry was good? WOAH. Congrats bro.

I wouldnt say mine was bad but it wasnt good either. I never have time left for checking :( and some questions were hard.
What was the common name for the sillicon thingy? HAHAHA the examiner will hopefully understand the stuff i wrote!

Are you doing english literature tomorrow? Im so scared. like really. And then theres math also..

Loool, owh sorry to hear that. But I can totally relate to you, I am always the last one to finish..
Yes, me too I didn't know the name I just wrote slowlime because the above answer was quicklime XD
I know it was hard but I was expecting it to be much more difficult. It was long too but alhamdulilah anyway.

Don't be scared... I am nervous also but let's hope for the best.. Good luck on your exams =) Tomorrow I'm having Math and Geography inshallah it's gonna be easy ;p