• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Maths

Reaction score
any idea on how many marks do you get an A in A-level math.....?
In schools....an A grade is awarded on 200/250 i.e 80%.....but do you get an A on 80% in the final?

Reaction score
the threshold for A is 80%....lets say respective threshold for A for p1-60 p3-60 s1-40 s2-40....these are the papers i appeared...so for me..to get an A...i need at least 200..if these would b the threshold...now jus add the threshold for A of all papers...and what u get is the minimun marks u need to get for an A.,..hope that helped!!

Reaction score
ok.....but if u look at the GT for may/june 2010

for an A...in the second variant...i.e for Pakistan.

P1-63
P2-66
P4-43
P6-37

if you add together...this comes out to be 209.
now thats what i am asking how can cie award an A on 209....when in schools we are awarded an A on 200....
i mean it should never be above 200.

Reaction score
no prblm..now CIE wil award this way....

Mathematics(9709) a(a) 80%

this is in case..the threshold are like u said..and u jus got 209...
IN school...they award if we get 80% of total mark......but CIE awards this way!!

msk

Reaction score
tahirpervaiz said:
do you mean....that the least marks for an A in maths are not 200, rather 209 or 210....

they will vary every year but on average u need 205-210 for an A-grade!

Reaction score
rather how is it that we are awarded A* man i really wanna know that...a's average around >80%

Reaction score
@whatsmyname: bro, here's the thing...!! caculate the total threshold for A...suppose its 200 out of 250..and threshold for B is 187...then the difference between A and B=200-187=13..so add this 13 to the gt of A>.i.e 200+13=213..so now if u get 213 or more..u'll get an A*

Reaction score
tahirpervaiz said:
do you mean....that the least marks for an A in maths are not 200, rather 209 or 210....

Thats jus supposion..!! M jus talking bout the average and usual threshold..it may b 220 too or 190 too...or anything..!! nobody knows what will b the gt before they publish it..!! so dont worry...

Reaction score
rviboy said:
oops sorry 2006
for these types of questions...look at the direction of i j and k...!! n if u wanna move in reverse of that direction...u need to put minus sign..!!

now from the figure...OA=14i OC=8j....thats the simple thing we can write...lets write this much for now..n then..we need to find OD... so OD=4i+4j+5k..! coz all are in directions as given..so all positive sign in between..!!

Reaction score
and for Magnitute its...root under (x^2+y^2+z^2).... now for angle DOB....the dot product of OD and OA...i.e OD.OA is the angle..so calculation angle for this...we have a formula..
Cos(DOB)=(OD.OA)/magnitude of OD.Magnitute of OA.. and OA is 14i...jus dont get confused...now any confusion?