• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

MJ Results with percentages?!

Reaction score
I've been checking out a few threads on xtremepapers related to exam results and there was this one particular thread where people were posting their results. I noticed some people wrote percentages next to their grades. Last time I checked, we get grades not percentages! Am I missing something here? And if this is some kind of newly implemented grading system, does it affect the final GPA? Thanks

Reaction score
They're called Percentage Uniform Marks... Not the actual percentage an applicant scored on an exam. CIE only discloses them in some countries, as it is a fairly recent development for them. Obviously they have not started using them in your country yet.

PS. Percentage Uniform Marks are a UMS equivalent, but they both work in a different way to each other.

Reaction score
They're called Percentage Uniform Marks... Not the actual percentage an applicant scored on an exam. CIE only discloses them in some countries, as it is a fairly recent development for them. Obviously they have not started using them in your country yet.

PS. Percentage Uniform Marks are a UMS equivalent, but they both work in a different way to each other.
Well that's a relief. I see what you mean. It's just that I find this kind of discrimination between students' abilities, although a fair practise, rather worrying. I mean with grade thresholds many students can rest assured they can do a little better than expected... a grade 'B' instead of a 'D' for instance. Percentages are quite daunting to be honest.
I'm not quite sure I understand what a 'UMS' is though.