• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Need A2 chemistry help !

Reaction score
Can someone please explain to me the difference between steam distillation and distillation under reduced pressure... when do we know which distillation to use when synthesizing different organic compounds?

Reaction score
steam distillation is used in cases where for example you have raspberries (question in the past papers) and you want to obtain the oil of it to use in perfumes etc it has to be volatile so it can be obtained as a product and immiscible in water because you constantly supply the substance with water so you dont want it to react with that.

I hope I made sense ,thats how i learnt it :D

Reaction score
Th
steam distillation is used in cases where for example you have raspberries (question in the past papers) and you want to obtain the oil of it to use in perfumes etc it has to be volatile so it can be obtained as a product and immiscible in water because you constantly supply the substance with water so you dont want it to react with that.

I hope I made sense ,thats how i learnt it :D