• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Need advice...first time doing a-level?

Reaction score
Im now going to grade 11 and im also doing a-level exam on 2012.
Can you please give tips on how to arrange my time in studying 7 subjects.
im doing:

Biology
math
english
physics
chemistry
computer
additional math

Also tell me good recommended books i can buy so i can study well.I really want to pass the exam.
Thank you for your time. :)

Reaction score
Have you started studying yet? If not, Start right away! And also, check if your school is providing Applied ICT instead of Computing.
Trust me, 7 subjects means zenith social life, I'm not even kidding.

Reaction score
aquariangurl said:
Have you started studying yet? If not, Start right away! And also, check if your school is providing Applied ICT instead of Computing.

Is ICT better than computer?

Reaction score
Applied Information And Communication Technology is a good subject not computer for alevel and i guess not additional math further mathematics is very good but very difficult at the same time give it only if you are good at maths and why giving enlish give it if you got A* in igcse because level english is not easy there is commenting and lots of stuff which is not easy.

Reaction score
LOL! Guys he has to appear in O'levels yet. Applied ICT and Further Maths are A'levels subjects and he needs advice for O'levels.
7 subjects won't be a problem for you Sagemaster. You don't need to rush into the preparation yet, since you have almost 8 months left. You can start by revising what you studied in class 9 and 10. Practice questions from your books and go slow on it. Make sure you clear your concepts and don't miss out on anything. You may continue this for a few months and then start with past papers. Do as many as you can and make sure you know how to do them yourself. If you get stuck at anything, make sure you clear the concepts first.
Btw, if you have the option then you should opt for the IGCSE subject of ICT instead of Computing. It invloves less hassle and practical work that is fun to do.
Anyways, best of luck! :)

Reaction score
For english. you need to start reading novels right now. Don't show laziness about it. Observe the style of writing of different authors and find meanings of difficult words that comes around this will allow you to increase your vocabulary.

Reaction score
Sagemaster said:
aquariangurl said:

Is ICT better than computer?
Yes, definitely!

Reaction score
For chem, nothing beats www.chemguide.co.uk
For bio, I'd tell you to study from Biological Sciences by D.J. Taylor
For applied ICT it's that black book, the Cambridge endorsed one.

Reaction score
^You are still talking about A'levels. :S Grade 11 is the last year of O'levels.
@Sagemaster: Can you please tell us in clear words if these 7 subjects are your O'levels or A'levels? Additional Maths is not an A'levels subject and yet you have made this topic in A'levels section. Please clear the confusion.

Reaction score
Err..I think these kids get over with their O levels in Grd 10 hamidali391. & start off with their A levels in Grd 11.

Reaction score
this is why i was telling him about alevel thats why its better to read carefully he wrote alevel at the last read once again........................hamida ali

Reaction score
hamidali391 said:
^You are still talking about A'levels. :S Grade 11 is the last year of O'levels.
@Sagemaster: Can you please tell us in clear words if these 7 subjects are your O'levels or A'levels? Additional Maths is not an A'levels subject and yet you have made this topic in A'levels section. Please clear the confusion.

hamidali39 you should read the title before you judge and also my first post.i mentioned 'a-level' in both of them. :no:

Reaction score
If u are doing alevel for the first time than u must work on Alevel pattern!!!! Focus more to understand the topic and getting proper concept rather than remembering!!!!!!

Reaction score
Sorry about that, then. I thought he wanted to complete A'levels in one year once he was done with O'levels.
@Sagemaster: Since, you have 7 subjects at A'levels you'll need to study alot unless you are extremely brilliant. Just divide your time b/w the 7 subjects and minimise other activities of yours to concenterate on your studies. Btw, its my advice that you should reduce the number of your subjects and make it less of a burden for you. A'levels is not the same as O'levels where you could keep a subject and complete it withing a month. You need more understanding and practice now, plus the syllabuses are extensive.

Reaction score
for bio i would like u to recommend cambridge biology by Mary Jones
biological science by D.J taylor is kind of confusing.. well it was for me.. well mary jones's book is more then enough..
and for chem i have studied Muhammad ayub's book and it has got every thing u want to know abt A levels chem.. trust me i have read these books and has done 10 years of past papers and got A grades..
and for physics i hav pacific physic both volume 1 and 2. well physics was a bit difficult for me but dont worry if u work hard u can score good grade..