• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

!!! Need urgent help for statistics

Reaction score
Please someone answer the following questions (specially for Hamid Ali :) )

1. Nov 2002 Q 4 (why number of rooms is said to be non discrete)
2. Nov 2002 Q 6
3. Reason for calculating moving averages
4. Definations of
i) Discrete and continous
ii) Quantitative and Qualitative
5. While calculating median, if (n/2)th value is in decimal so whether it should be rounded off to integer value or should be taken as decimal.
6. In index number question why estimate is unrealistic?

Answers needed urgently

Regards

Reaction score
The number of rooms are discrete...
Read the question crefully it says list those whcih are not discrete and the answer for it are B and D....where as Number of rooms is E.
2.i haven't done moving averages yet..=(
3.same
4 i)If we have finite values with in the given limits then the variable is discrete...
if we have infinite values with the given limts then the cariable is continuos...for eg 2<x>18..(you can have infinite values in dis)
ii)Quantitative:Anything which we can count or measure eg height
qualitative:anything which we can classify eg color
5.It depends wat are u calculating for raw dat(individual data) u cannot round of you have to find the middle value
for eg 4 6 8 10 its median wud be 2.5th value so dat wud be 7...
6.this question mostly has 2 same points u shud jus learn em jus lyk u learn adv and dis adv...
those 2 points are...
1.Change in Inflation rate
2.and chancge in inflation rate...

Change in weights are due..
Distortion of inflation rates
Change in Quantities purchased..

Hope this has helped u=)

Reaction score
Yar we calculate moving averages so that we can clearly see the trend in the given data.

November 2006
First the question arises WHY do we centre the moving averages??? We can only plot at one point and then join a line to it. For an odd number we can use the middle number but for an even number we can divide the nmber in two equal parts and have a whole number as the middle number. Coming to the question:
i) F=Yes, we need to centre the moving average since the time limit take i.e 4 months is an even number
G=No, 7 is an odd number.
H= You may answer this... Since I only want to clear your concept :)

ii) I will only tel you the answers since my own concept isnt very strong on this. You have to knw about all the types of variations in order to answer this.
F- Seasonal Variation. Since the time period is almost a year. And the data is taken after each season.
G-Cyclic Variation. The variation that takes place cycles after many years. It does repeat but after many years unlike F where data forms a trend after every quarter.
H-Seasonal Variation. Again the time is less then a year. So it is seasonal variation.

The rest of the answers were explained by Saad Qadir. You can be grateful to him :) I hope you understood what I and he explained. If you have a problem you can surely ask me again. But post over here and don't pm me.

Reaction score
Dear Saad & Hamid

First of all i am very thankfull of you for timely support. I have an other question

how to differentiate b/w independent and mutually exclusive events?

I hope you will provide me right answer.

Regards

Reaction score
For saad Qadir..
In the question of discrete variable.. Nov 2002 Q.4, the ER says...
In part (i) most candidates were able to identify D as non-discrete, but hardly any recognised E as a
constant, even though any comment which implied that this was the case was permitted. When
distinguishing between discrete and continuous variables, it is not sufficient just to state that ‘discrete
variables are counted whereas continuous variables are measured’. It was pleasing to see that many
candidates knew that discrete variables are not necessarily restricted to having integer values. Part (ii) was
generally answered well, follow-through being permitted for D if it had not been stated in part (i), but not for E
as that was not a variable.

u said that the answer is B and D..i agree with D but ER doesn't suggest of B as the correct answer..
kindly look into this matter..
thanks..

Reaction score
Numbers of Rooms in ur House is constant as it does not change time to time.
(B)is not discrete because it is rounded of to the nearest integer and integer mean discrete

Reaction score
FOr saud Aslam...
so the answer is B and E right??
And it then means that no. of rooms would always be constant and thus non. discrete???

Reaction score
plzz answer to these questions as well...

1.What does Interquartile range literally mean and its advantages???
2.Age of person.. Discrete or continuous???
3. difference b/w mutually exclusive and independent events????

waiting for the answers
thanks.