• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

NO CURVE THIS YEAR???!!! DISASTER!!!

Reaction score
this cannot be true because they will decide any thing about the curve after all marking is done this meas that no one can predict any thing. do you agree what me ??

Reaction score
Yeaah, it makes sense. Because it would be unfair if the grades are set before the marking starts.
this cannot be true because they will decide any thing about the curve after all marking is done this meas that no one can predict any thing. do you agree what me ??

Reaction score
i think what it means is
if u get A* they will put next to it 90% regardless of ur actual percentage

"A candidate who obtains…
… the minimum mark necessary for a Grade A* obtains a percentage uniform mark of 90%"
so say that the minimum mark for an A* is 140 out of 160 this is 88% but it is an A* therefore they'll put next to ur grade 90% hence the word "uniform"
and so if u get grade A they will put 80%
if B 70%
and so on even if it is not ur true percentage

Reaction score
i think what it means is
if u get A* they will put next to it 90% regardless of ur actual percentage

"A candidate who obtains…
… the minimum mark necessary for a Grade A* obtains a percentage uniform mark of 90%"
so say that the minimum mark for an A* is 140 out of 160 this is 88% but it is an A* therefore they'll put next to ur grade 90% hence the word "uniform"
and so if u get grade A they will put 80%
if B 70%
and so on even if it is not ur true percentage

I don't think that's so..I got a A* in development studies and my percentage appeared as 92!
In sociology I got an A, my percentage was 87 while other some other friends with A's in sociology got other percentages. So then it is not "uniform".

Reaction score
I don't think that's so..I got a A* in development studies and my percentage appeared as 92!
In sociology I got an A, my percentage was 87 while other some other friends with A's in sociology got other percentages. So then it is not "uniform".
first of all how did u get ur marks?? this is clearly starting in june 2012
r u talking abt cie certificate or edexcel??

Reaction score
i did my IG's last year and i got my certificate i have no percentage not at all

Reaction score
i did my IG's last year and i got my certificate i have no percentage not at all

The percentages aren't published on your certificate, it's on your Statement of Results!
CIE sends it to centers 10 days after results are released and the centers distribute it!

Reaction score
The percentages aren't published on your certificate, it's on your Statement of Results!
CIE sends it to centers 10 days after results are released and the centers distribute it!
i also got my statement of results and no teacher said anything abt a percentage
plus on the syllabus it says starting from june 2012 it never was in 2011 nor 2010

Reaction score
i also got my statement of results and no teacher said anything abt a percentage
plus on the syllabus it says starting from june 2012 it never was in 2011 nor 2010

It's been published since then under the colum "Percentage Uniform Mark".
Grades that we're 90% and up were A*, those 80% -89% were A, those 70% -79% were B etc which is as stated in the syllabus.
I read an article while taking my IGs that that's how the grades are calculated.

Reaction score
I read the thread title and had a mini-heart attack..
Then I realized that they CAN'T take away curves as depending on how hard or how easy the paper was , marks will vary and so will grades.
There's always a threshold for each region and it changes by 2-3 marks each year. I've asked my teacher about this , don't worry.. theres a curve x)

EDIT

I found this post on another thread about this "removing the curve" from last year. Its quoted directly from the CIE website. So now everyone can relax, and go back to studying!

Is the percentage uniform mark the same as the actual mark that the candidate obtains on the question paper?

No. The percentage uniform mark is not the same as the actual mark that the candidate obtains on the question paper. This is because it depends on the position of the grade thresholds (which may vary from one series to another and from one subject to another) and it has been converted into a percentage. The percentage uniform mark does not affect the grade a candidate receives, it simply shows whether they are in the middle of a grade, or near the top or bottom.

Reaction score
lol, no, you are the one who is tryna act cool and calm, why dont you just go and watch you anime and prove to be another waste of space in this planet.

i havent lost anything so far "trying to act cool and calm". Aww watching anime will prove im another waste of space on this planet? get real. And go study instead of barking at people. :D

Reaction score
i havent lost anything so far "trying to act cool and calm". Aww watching anime will prove im another waste of space on this planet? get real. And go study instead of barking at people. :D
yes sir
truce dude, i got listening 2moro n cant argue