• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Oct/Nov 2012 resources are now available to download

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
PLEASE IF ANYONE HAS MAY AND NOVEMBER 2012 ECON SL. PAPERS CONTACT ME [email protected] !!!!!!! I HAVE A TEST TOMORROW AND I REALLY NEED THEM !!!!!!! ps. willing to exchange with any qb or past paper in chem hl and bio hl !!!

Reaction score
Question: How successful were the British attempts to take control of lands in the sub-continent between 1750 1856?
Answer: Undoubtedly the geo-political map of India changed vastly, from a British perspective, between 1757 and 1857. The British were successful in gaining control over India because of their military superiority and diplomatic skills.
The British fought a series of bloody wars and defeated a number of strong local rulers like Siraj-ud-Daulah in the battle of Plessy in 1757, Tipu Sultan in the battle of Mysore in 1799, and then Marathas and the Sikhs and annexed Bengal, Mysor, Punjab, North West Frontier and Sindh and annexed Audh through Doctrine of laps in 1852.
On June 23rd, 1757 at Plessey, between Calcutta and Murshidabad, the forces of the East India Company under Robert Clive met the army of Siraj-ud-Doula, the Nawab of Bengal. The aspirant to the Nawab's throne, Mir Jafar, betrayed the Nawab and by far the greater number of the Nawab's soldiers were bribed to throw away their weapons, surrender prematurely, and even turn their arms against their own army. Siraj-ud-Doula was defeated. Battle of Plessey marked the first major military success for British East India Company.
In the Battle of Buxar 22 October, 1764 British army defeated the confederate army of Mir Qaism, Nawab Shujauddaulah and Shah Alam II. The English had victories at Katwah, Giria, Sooty, Udaynala and Monghyr. After winning the Battle of Buxar, the British had earned the right to collect land revenue in Bengal, Bihar and Orissa. This development set the foundations of British political rule in India and the British were successful.
In 1767, Nizam Ali of Hydrabad, the Marathas and the English made an alliance against Hyder Ali of Mysor. But Hyder was brave he defeated the English at their own game by making peace with the Marathas and alluring the Nizam with territorial gains and together with the latter launched an attack on Arcot. The fight continued for a year and half and the
British suffered heavy losses. The panic-stricken British had to sue for peace. A treaty was signed on April 4, 1769, on the basis of restitution of each other's territories and Hyder Ali was Successful. In October 1780 Hyder Ali captured Arcot, defeating an English army. Hyder Ali continued the war with the British. In 1782, Hyder Ali inflicted a humiliating defeat on the British troops once again Hyder Ali was successful.
After Hyder Ali’s death his son Tipu Sultan bravely fought against British. Tired of the war, the two sides concluded the Treaty of Mangalore in 1784.On December 29, 1789 Tipu’s attack on Travancore the Raja of Travancore was entitled to the protection of the English. Thus taking advantage of the situation, the English, making a triple alliance with the Nizams and the Marathas, attacked Tipu Sultan and in 1799 British attacked Mysore and annexed Mysore with Tipu’s death on May 4, 1799 who was killed fighting to save his capital.
Maratha power destroyed by British in several wars during 1817- 1818, Holkar's forces were routed at Mahidpur December 21, 1817 and Baji Rao II, who was trying to consolidate Marathas, finally surrendered in June 1818. British abolished the position of Peshwa and Marathas were limited to the small kingdom of Satara, thus ended the mighty Maratha power.
North West region of Punjab the Sikh power was growing and Maharaja Ranjit Singh (1780-1839) of Punjab became very powerful. After Ranjit Singh died there was infighting amongst Sikhs. British tried to take advantage of this and in the Battle of Mudki and Ferozshah (1845) Sikhs were defeated due to the treachery of their generals. The final battle of Sobraon on February 10, 1846 proved decisive where Sikhs again lost due to the betrayal of their generals. The British were able to capture most of India after defeating Sikhs in 1849.
In 1841 rebellion broke out in Afghanistan in which British soldiers were killed. This enraged the British who then turn in to Sindh. Although British had a peace treaty with the Amirs of Sind but Charles Napier provoked the Amirs so much so that the Amirs attacked British residency in 1843. The Amirs were defeated by the British might and they annexed Sindh. The British also reintroduced the governor generals into the provinces who administered the local people. In 1852 the British annexed several Indian states under the ‘Doctrine of Lapse’. In 1856 the large and rich state of Oudh was also taken over by the British under the excuse of misrule.
Indian resistance to defend their lands was not successful due to their disunity and lack of modern military equipment. The East India Company annexed territories successfully through military superiority as well as through opportunism. India was fractured, given over to petty rivalries and had a vast legacy of native Indians usable by the British in consolidating its gains.

Reaction score
can someone send me the APPLIED ICT 9713/13 CIE 2011 winter mark scheme and paper please?

Reaction score
hey I need help regarding Islamiat n Pakistan studies papers..I have studied from the notes of Sir Khurrum and read the book of Farkunda noor Mohammad plz tell me any way to learn them quickly plz replay fast very less time is left although i have gone through that..As far as Pakistan studies is concerned I have done many questions n studied from farooq bajwa n kelly ..tell me now what i have to do to score n A+(s) plz help fast...

Reaction score
I need help plz !
Can anyone who has already taken the exam tell me is there any editing for pictures in the frontpage for Paper 32 ??!

Reaction score
can someone plzzzzzzzzzzz post marking schemes for French (3015) o-level from 2002 to 2012, both nov and june..
wouah vous apprenez le français, rien ! sa langue très terrible particulièrement la la manière qu'ils parlent parce que j'ai fait ma recherche de M.Ed dans les Frances.

Reaction score
GUYS plzzzz help me with this(ICT PRACTICAL) FRONT PAGE
in june 2011 paper 31 question 37 it says that resize ur browzer so that the back ground pic fits without tiling. i knw how to resize but whts the use it has no effect in browzer :(

Reaction score
when you belong to zone 1 in AS level do we have to do variant 3 or 4 or 5 in practical chemistry biology physics ANY IDEA FOR CHEN BIO PHY PRACTICAL MATERIAL JUNE 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.