• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Opinion on AS chemistry

Reaction score
Hi chemists,
I'd like to ask what u guys think about the difficulty of AS chemistry.
To begin with my opinion, I think AS chem is way harder than the other two sciences (especially physics is rather similar with IG)
Of course, it being hard doesn't mean u won't get 50+ in paper2 and 35+ in paper1
But if u think about the whole contents, they r bloody huge. (think about organic chemistry and observations in group2&7 we've learnt!)
Some multiple choice questions are tbh over-complicated and contain many topics in one question.
+ in multiple choice Q31~40, it's like 'multiple' multiple choice questions.
And the last thing, the practical! Compare with physics and biology practical tests. We tend to have 30~60 (maybe not 60) minutes left for those right?
But I think Chem practical is by far the most difficult

So to sum up, my own view is that
AS chem requires more mathematical aptitude than AS physics
+ AS chem requires more memorisation than AS biology

Any opinions?

Reaction score
its quite challenging.

i would STRONGLY recommend ppl to do AS AND A2 2GETHER!

Reaction score
Q9 w10_11 In a calorimetric experiment 1.60 g of a fuel is burnt. 45 % of the energy released is absorbed by
200 g of water whose temperature rises from 18 ° C to 66 °C. The specific heat capacity of water is
4.2 J g–1K–1
What is the total energy released per gram of fuel burnt?
A 25 200 J B 56 000 J C 89 600 J D 143 360 J

Reaction score
i think AS Physics is also tough!!! just look at the papers set in june 2010 of AS physics.
but in my opinion AS Chemistry isnt tough because its just a step above O Level chemistry.........but i do agree that A2 chemistry is tough but if u have the "hang" of it it's really easy! in my school the most number of A's and A*'s are in Chemistry (both AS and A2)

Reaction score
BT if u read markchemes of AS bio theory...u ll know how much tuff i to gain marks....as chemistry theory is a childs play

Reaction score
i think for AS...difficult one is physics...!! chemistry is easy...both AS and A2 are easy..!! physics is difficult.!! physics sucks..!!

Reaction score
wow. it's so interesting to see all these different opinions :D
somehow theory for biology really works for me and physics is by far the easiest... but not chemistry lol

Reaction score
ideggkr said:
Hi chemists,
To begin with my opinion, I think AS chem is way harder than the other two sciences (especially physics is rather similar with IG)
Of course, it being hard doesn't mean u won't get 50+ in paper2 and 35+ in paper1
But if u think about the whole contents, they r bloody huge. (think about organic chemistry and observations in group2&7 we've learnt!)
Some multiple choice questions are tbh over-complicated and contain many topics in one question.
And the last thing, the practical! Compare with physics and biology practical tests. We tend to have 30~60 (maybe not 60) minutes left for those right?

Any opinions?

its not at all difficult!
if u get the basics it just a piece of cake!

Reaction score
princesszahra said:
ideggkr said:
Hi chemists,

Any opinions?

its not at all difficult!
if u get the basics it just a piece of cake!

good for you.
Well even my chemistry teacher can't solve some hell diffucult MCQ questions.
Guess u r very intelligent

Reaction score
i think AS physics is really difficult specially paper 1............never got above 25 in tht paper :cry:

Reaction score
for every individual, the difficulty of subject is different..... For me chem practical is tough, and also the some of the mcqS and in physics, theory is quite challenging !

Reaction score
Chemistry is not that easy.. it's tricky especially paper 1. Physics is the hardest.

while bio is all based on knowledge.

Reaction score
chemistry is so hard while physics is ok,,in physics,if you read anything,it will be easier for u but its a total different stor in chemistry,