• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics ATP- 5054/42, May/June 15 Questions

Reaction score
I just appeared for the exam. Curious about what answers you guys wrote.
1. Estimate length of stride?
Number of stride?
How trundle is used to measure distance. I saw the complete rotation was 100cm = 1m while some of my friends say circumference was 50cm
4. The graph- 2 points were upwards and 2 were downwards by a large but equal distance when best fit straight line drawn.
5.Why large distance is used for parachute experiment ?
6.Why average time is taken with 2 decimal places ?
7.The last question, LIST OF APPARATUS.? How apparatus is arranged to get accurate reading ( 2 points) ?

Reaction score
Number of stride?
How trundle is used to measure distance. I saw the complete rotation was 100cm = 1m while some of my friends say circumference was 50cm
4. The graph- 2 points were upwards and 2 were downwards by a large but equal distance when best fit straight line drawn.
7.The last question, LIST OF APPARATUS.? How apparatus is arranged to get accurate reading ( 2 points) ?

1. it was 2 and then 200... i wrote the units wrong. :(
4. i made a line from 3 points so i must be wrong here too
7. i said stop watch

Reaction score
1. it was 2 and then 200... i wrote the units wrong. :(
4. i made a line from 3 points so i must be wrong here too
7. i said stop watch

They often say units not required in MS. So hope for the better.

However,if it was 200 ( I also wrote 200) then 0.5m per stride, 0.5*200=100m
7.I wrote :
i. 1/3 of thermometer immersed
ii. Thermometer and test tube held fixed by Clamp and test tube holder respectively so it does not move

[It reduces chances of parallax error or error / difficulty when reading from moving T.meter]

Reaction score
Number of stride?

1. 0.50m
2. 100/.5m =200 (deliberlately chose 0.5m so I could get a whole num answer for this question and hence not encounter the significant wala rolla.)
3. Roll the trundle wheel from one end to another, count the num of clicks and multilpy it by 50cm.
4. Similar to your graph, although they wouldn't scrutinize your graph to such an extent.
5.To allow parachutes to reach terminal velocity and thus allow the effect of area oF parachute on avergae time to be properly studied.
6. Same accuracy as measurements.
7. Immerse 1/3 of the thermometer. Place stopwatch close to test tube so temperarue can Be quickly noted.

Reaction score
1. 0.50m
2. 100/.5m =200 (deliberlately chose 0.5m so I could get a whole num answer for this question and hence not encounter the significant wala rolla.)
3. Roll the trundle wheel from one end to another, count the num of clicks and multilpy it by 50cm.
4. Similar to your graph, although they wouldn't scrutinize your graph to such an extent.
5.To allow parachutes to reach terminal velocity and thus allow the effect of area oF parachute on avergae time to be properly studied.
7. Immerse 1/3 of the thermometer. Place stopwatch close to test tube so temperarue can Be quickly noted.
3. I wrote 1 complete rotation is 1m so 100 complete rotations along surface from starting to end point
5.To prevent time from being small. , reduce variation caused by human RT :( Not sure if mines are correct
7. Hold 1/3 of therm, Hold test tube and thermo in fixed position by clamp, test tube holder

Reaction score
Your last two seem correct not sure about the first one. Oh well. Just pray and hope you can pull off the mcq abd theory perfectly. Inshallah A stars.

Reaction score
But my Voltage reading was coming 3 Volts. You see that that there was 1.5 divisions upwards the original line, so 1.5 * 2 = 3 Volts. Do you guys agree?
Plus, I wrote stopwatch in the last experiment, even though it should have been stopclock. Conclusively, I wrote seconds instead of minutes. Do you think I would get marks for this? In 2010 Oct/Nov they did give marks for seconds. Would I still get marks?
And for adjusting apparatus I wrote:1/3 immersion of thermometer and keeping stopwatch nearer to apparatus for quicker time reccordings.
I marked stride length as heel to toe of next foot, sadly. No marks for that.

Did you people give English exam?

Reaction score
But my Voltage reading was coming 3 Volts. You see that that there was 1.5 divisions upwards the original line, so 1.5 * 2 = 3 Volts. Do you guys agree?
Plus, I wrote stopwatch in the last experiment, even though it should have been stopclock. Conclusively, I wrote seconds instead of minutes. Do you think I would get marks for this? In 2010 Oct/Nov they did give marks for seconds. Would I still get marks?
And for adjusting apparatus I wrote:1/3 immersion of thermometer and keeping stopwatch nearer to apparatus for quicker time reccordings.

Thats 3.2 Volts

Reaction score
1. 0.50m
How much marks did the first question have?

Reaction score

Its 3.2 volt. But my english exam was not bad but lower than expectation. I forgot to write yours sincerely :( I hope I get an A* somehow with lower grade threshold

Reaction score
English went fairly okay.
Regarding Physics ATP 42,
Stride length: I wrote 40cm (is this okay?)
List additional apparatus: Thermometer, stopwatch
Adjusting apparatus: Hold thermometer such that meniscus is in line of sight to avoid parallax error and hold thermometer in clamp without it touching the beaker; Place stopwatch beside/close to beaker so that both time and temperature can be read easily.
Why graph doesn't pass through origin: Area of the parachute cannot be 0cm^2. Even if no parachute is used, rubber takes some time to fall through the distance. Therefore tav is never 0s.
Why large height is used: Takes a longer time for the rubber to fall through the distance. This time can be easily and accurately measured.
Why tav is in 2 d.p.: Raw data is in 2 d.p. Large variation in raw data.

Are these okay?
And are grade thresholds a real thing? If so how are they determined?

And also regarding Shafin Ahmed's 100cm complete trundle wheel rotation thing, I did the same thing. I think there was an issue with the question.

Last edited:
Reaction score
English went fairly okay.
Regarding Physics ATP 42,
Stride length: I wrote 40cm (is this okay?)
List additional apparatus: Thermometer, stopwatch
Adjusting apparatus: Hold thermometer such that meniscus is in line of sight to avoid parallax error and hold thermometer in clamp without it touching the beaker; Place stopwatch beside/close to beaker so that both time and temperature can be read easily.
Why graph doesn't pass through origin: Area of the parachute cannot be 0cm^2. Even if no parachute is used, rubber takes some time to fall through the distance. Therefore tav is never 0s.
Why large height is used: Takes a longer time for the rubber to fall through the distance. This time can be easily and accurately measured.
Why tav is in 2 d.p.: Raw data is in 2 d.p. Large variation in raw data.

Are these okay?
And are grade thresholds a real thing? If so how are they determined?

And also regarding Shafin Ahmed's 100cm complete trundle wheel rotation thing, I did the same thing. I think there was an issue with the question.
I will sue CIE if they dont accept my trundle answer about 100cm cause its completely logical :p. One may check the number of complete rotations using the pointer. However, I agree that calculating distance by measuring number of clicks in easier. BUT I did NOT SEE QUESTION carefully and did not see that point about click. :p
And I am happy to see your answers. My answers match with urs like WHY LARGE HEIGHT USED, I wrote the same thing that more time so more accurately measured.

Also I wrote hold the thermometer and test tube in fixed position by clamp and test tube holder respectively, I hope its correct.

Reaction score
AAG LAGA . It seems like you guys are going to cling onto the past forever. We have much more important exams coming up, worry about those.

Reaction score
25 is a bit too small maybe :(. Because shoes length itself is 15-20 cm. Hope for the best. There are a large range of accepted answers in P4 AFAIK
I too wrote 0.25 m. I assumed that the accepted answer would range from 0.1(0.2)-1.5 m since the age/height of the person was not even slightly specified so a wide range of answers would probably be acceptable. But we can just hope.(y) No one knows for sure.