• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

physics binding energy plz help

Reaction score
During nuclear fission, larger atomic nuclei break to form smaller nuclei of similar masses... thereby, during both nuclear fission and fusion, binding energy per nucleon increases or the system moves to stability...

during fusion, smaller nuclei fuse to form larger nuclei ... binding energy per nucleon increases (or more energy is required to separate the nuclear components to infinity) ...

Whenever a system moves to stability such as in nuclear fission or fusion, binding energy per nucleon increases

:)

Reaction score
princesszara said:
plz help about this one tooo

You'll find the derivation in accessible physics. I can't write all the steps here, whereas, step by step explanation is given in this book, do consult it

for the second derivation,
equate the two,

1/3 Nm <c^2> = NKt

Now multiply the L.H.S with two and divide by two, take the expression of Kinetic energy common .i.e.

1/2 m <c^2> = 3/2 KT
thereby, kinetic energy is proportional to absolute temperature !!!

Reaction score
one more tip zahra
make sure u see the the graph of BE/N and a
notice that whatever the reaction is, whether fission or fusion nucleus is formed with a higher BE/N per mass number, that is it goes towards the peak of the
graph where the stability is highest .
i hope that was useful
:)

Reaction score
yes i saw that graph we are supposed to know it and be able to sketch it and the peak is at iron nucleus.
many thankx