• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics, Chemistry and Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
During breathing IN, external intercostal muscles contract, internal intercostal muscles relax, diaphragm contracts moving downwards, the rib cage moves up and out pulling the lungs and thus increasing their volume. And as in Physics, pressure is inversely proportional to volume so an increase in volume decreases pressure, this forces air INTO the lungs from high to low pressure to even out the pressure difference. During breathing out the reverse happens!
Hope this helps :) !
jazakillah, sis(y) may Allah help us

Reaction score
Here..
This experiment is for the uptake of oxygen ,There are two test tubes
The one joined with tube X has germinating seeds & the one joined with tube Y has dead seeds
Both have soda lime present that absorbs carbondioxide
Respiration takes place only through the tube X (as Y contains dead seeds)
The seeds need oxygen which they take from the coloured water (the carbondioxed released is absorbed by soda lime)
So, there is a rise in tube X and tube y is unchanged .. Ans is D :)

Reaction score
Here..
This experiment is for the uptake of oxygen ,There are two test tubes
The one joined with tube X has germinating seeds & the one joined with tube Y has dead seeds
Both have soda lime present that absorbs carbondioxide
Respiration takes place only through the tube X (as Y contains dead seeds)
The seeds need oxygen which they take from the coloured water (the carbondioxed released is absorbed by soda lime)
So, there is a rise in tube X and tube y is unchanged .. Ans is D :)

but what is this coloured water?? how do we know it raise or fall? what does make it rise or fall?

Maz

Reaction score
but what is this coloured water?? how do we know it raise or fall? what does make it rise or fall?
The germinating seeds use up the oxygen present in the tube, so the pressure acting upon the coloured water becomes less and therefore the air pressure acting on the water causes the water level to rise.
This does not occur in the other tube, since no oxygen is being used from the tube. (as mentioned by thats_me)

Reaction score
The germinating seeds use up the oxygen present in the tube, so the pressure acting upon the coloured water becomes less and therefore the air pressure acting on the water causes the water level to rise.
This does not occur in the other tube, since no oxygen is being used from the tube. (as mentioned by thats_me)

ty to you and thats_me, helped me too much

Reaction score
Please help..
N 98 - Q20, ms says C, but I believe it's D as both rate and depth of breathing should increase!
N 2000 Q15, shouldn't be C (duodenum) not ileum(D) ?
Q24, ms says A, but shouldn't the plumule also show negative geotropism (C) ???​
Please someone help in these 3 questions :unsure: !

Reaction score
Please help..
N 98 - Q20, ms says C, but I believe it's D as both rate and depth of breathing should increase!
Q24, ms says A, but shouldn't the plumule also show negative geotropism (C) ???​

I heard you love chemistry how come?
coz i hate it so much
tell me more

Reaction score
Please help..
PLEASE SOMEONE ANSWER ME....PLEASE!!

Reaction score
Please help..
for 20 the ans is D
q15 I think its duodenum and illeum absorbs the products of fat digestion
n 24 is also C :S
try checking the ms again :S