• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics P5 All Info You Need !!

Reaction score
Untitled_design.png

do u have the markscheme for this paper?

Reaction score
yes these are the same ones :)

for y = e^kn

lny = kn*ln(e) we know ln(e)=1

lny = K * n
Y =M* x passing through origin straight line. :)

what is meant by the hall probe is in same orientation?and in n11/51 is hall probe positioned on the centre of the flat coil?and in n12/51 they are connecting coil to hall probe but not connecting any power supply to it? why

Reaction score
Reaction score
use hc/e=gradient ...calculate value of h using gradient of best fit then using gradient of worst fit...find the difference for the two values of h...this is the absolute uncertainity.

now percentage uncertainity=absolute uncertaity/best value of h(value of h using gradient of best fit) *100% = 6%

i have calculated it myself.

all error bars are 0.05 right?

Reaction score
I've been going through some P5 papers for physics and these are some discrepancies i've found if someone could please clarify for me?

1) do we have to make only 1 of the worst fit lines or both?
2) do we HAVE to do gradient upper limit - gradient lower limit/2 for uncertainty of gradient or can we just use mean value and either UL/LL gradient? the latter seems much more convenient.
3) Sometimes in the question the lowest number of SF is 2 but the examiner has given answers to 3 SF, and sometimes lowest number of SF is 3 and examiner says 2 SF is alright....how are we supposed to judge?! :s
4) i have often noticed uneven distribution of points [more points above best fit line then below or vice versa] across my graphs but the values are absolutely correct as calculated...what am i doing wrong?
5) is it important to make a worst fit line that has to pass through ALL the error bars? and do they have to touch the tip of the error bar or just pass through the "bar" at any point at all?

thanks for your help :D

Reaction score
I've been going through some P5 papers for physics and these are some discrepancies i've found if someone could please clarify for me?

1) do we have to make only 1 of the worst fit lines or both?
2) do we HAVE to do gradient upper limit - gradient lower limit/2 for uncertainty of gradient or can we just use mean value and either UL/LL gradient? the latter seems much more convenient.
3) Sometimes in the question the lowest number of SF is 2 but the examiner has given answers to 3 SF, and sometimes lowest number of SF is 3 and examiner says 2 SF is alright....how are we supposed to judge?! :s
4) i have often noticed uneven distribution of points [more points above best fit line then below or vice versa] across my graphs but the values are absolutely correct as calculated...what am i doing wrong?
5) is it important to make a worst fit line that has to pass through ALL the error bars? and do they have to touch the tip of the error bar or just pass through the "bar" at any point at all?

thanks for your help :D

1) only 1 of them
2) you can do it either way, i prefer the second one too
3) you have to give answers to the number of sgf that is either equal to or one more than the ones in the table
4) you MUST ensure that your best fit line divides all your points equally.
5) The worst acceptable line MUST pass through all the error bars

This is as far as I know.
Hope it helped

Reaction score
Is it possible for a value to have no error bars? o_O for eg h= 6.2 +- 0.00 ?!
I'm getting such weird stuff. SalmanslK

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
use hc/e=gradient ...calculate value of h using gradient of best fit then using gradient of worst fit...find the difference for the two values of h...this is the absolute uncertainity.

now percentage uncertainity=absolute uncertaity/best value of h(value of h using gradient of best fit) *100% = 6%

i have calculated it myself.
For this same paper. c (iv) wd be.. :)

Reaction score
i have a problem!
so if I(current) = 1.2 +- 0.1
how to calculate log(I/A) ?? with uncertanities?
please state it with formula

Reaction score
Is it possible for a value to have no error bars? o_O for eg h= 6.2 +- 0.00 ?!
I'm getting such weird stuff. SalmanslK

Thanks in advance.

no this is not possible as errors are caused by the instrument hence when there is an error inthe given reading..then by further calculation the error CANNOT DISAPPEAR!