• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics P5 in 5 minutes !!!

Reaction score
Hey. Can anyone give a comprehensive explanation of the methods that are to be used for calculation of errors? Please?

Reaction score
Can anyone please help me out in Q2.c.iii ?
I have found the gradient, which is 0.56. But I am having difficulties in finding the errors of the gradient.
The absolute errors that I've got on the table are: 0.13, 0.08, 0.06, 0.04, 0.04 and 0.03.
Please help me how to find the gradient errors!!!

And also Q2d!!!

PLEASE!

http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_s07_qp_5.pdf
it is the difference between the (gradient of the BFL) and the (gradient of WAL).....

Reaction score
I don't understand (n) :(
do u knw how to draw a worst acceptable line?..:)
if so, find the gradient of that {Worst Acceptable Line} and gradient of the [Best Fit Line]...
then the error would be the difference between the those two values...:)

Reaction score
if so, find the gradient of that {Worst Acceptable Line} and gradient of the [Best Fit Line]...
Oh okay! Thanks so much! :)
I'm so sorry that I couldn't understand what you were trying to say
I got confused
But thank you! :D

Reaction score
Oh and could you please help me with another thing?
How do I find the absolute uncertainties in the table?
And can you please also help me in Q2d in this paper: http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_s07_qp_5.pdf

Reaction score
Oh and could you please help me with another thing?
How do I find the absolute uncertainties in the table?
And can you please also help me in Q2d in this paper: http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_s07_qp_5.pdf
Im sorry bt im also a bit confused with the absolute uncertainty thing....il let u knw as soon as i find out...
so part 2d...if u rearrange the main equation given to the form y=mx+c...the gradient will be (p/v)....in part d they have given the volume and u have already found the gradient in part c(iii)...so the value of (P) would be volume into gradient.....:)

Reaction score
i did bad in my physics paper 42 too . but not that bad. will proly get around 53 or sumthin. i got only one xam left now which is Physics PAper 52 @ 30th May 2012. if i score like 21 out of 30 in it . can i get an A in physix ??? i got A(82%) in my AS level . plz sum1 lemme know if i can score an overall A in Physix . tnx . :)

Dude how do you know you got 82% because as far as I know, they only tell you the grades in letters boldly (A,B,C..)

Reaction score
here's a revision note for 9702 physics paper
Question 1:
first be able to reduce the equation in the simplest form ..i.e y=mX=c ..and recognize the gradient
calculate the data in 3 s.f(generally done) or to one s.f more or equal to the s.f of the raw data
in case of logarithmic calculations, the number of d.p is the number of s.f ..hence for a raw data of 3 s.f the log should be calculated to 3 or 4 d.p
to calculate absolute uncertainty the most accepted method is to calculate the maximum difference and divide by 2 ..sf of uncertainty is usually ignored in the mark scheme but stick to 1 or 2 s.f
plot all the six points,a small encircled dot is acceptable use sharp pencil to plot , and draw the error bars. all to nearest half square on the grid.
(u can also analyze from the graph as how much s.f to use..as the graphs interval's points's tenth division place is to be plotted )
the gradient should be calculated by drawing a triangle and mentioning the points of the vertices in the best-fit line ..the hypotenuse should be greater than halt the length of the best-fit line.
working should be shown clearly
and the worst-fit line is drawn by joining the top of the topmost point's error bar and the bottom of the bottommost error bar..and the line should touch every error bar.
both line should be clearly LABELLED ,and the gradient of worst-fit is calculated in similar way to best-fit ..calculate it on the blank page at the end..and just show the gradient value in working area while calculating the uncertainty in gradient..
the error in gradient is gradient of best fit - gradient of worst fit ,or 1/2 * (steepest line's gradient - shallowest line's gradient)
all calculation to 3 s.f
and for calculations , which is usually related to the calculated gradient, take care of units, power of tens and to calculate the percentage uncertainty work out the value with the gradient and again with the error+the gradient and work out the difference which is the absolute uncertainty , hence calculate the percentage uncertainty .(working is only credited here and calculations are not checked)
Question 2:
state the basic statement, it is awarded 1 mark..such as change pressure and measure power..and repeat(o/n 05)
Draw a diagram with all the equipment you might use during the experimentation of this plan..a basic, well labelled diagram could score many marks; even if the explanation is weak.
identify the control variable
make sure you know the working of some equipments as:
collimator,sonometer, strobe, bourdon gauge, joule meter,thermometers,light-spot galvanometer needle valve, vacuum grease , lightgate, smart pulley ,balance,newton meter,ticker tape data-loggers , optical bench, set squares etc.. don't panic of you don't but u should know what equipment to use to measure something.
make sure u understand the question and collect all the method marks by suggesting means of measuring the quantities u might measure during the experiment.
there are 5 method marks to be scored.
now beware of safety measures. like earmuffs eardrums, goggles , safety screens . sand bucket for falling masses..etc
now be able to point some additional details they are worth 4 marks.
these can also be awarded on a detailed diagram..
suggest the possible ranges of devices, suggest some ways of sophisticating the experiment..but donot make vague references and do not forget why are u performing this experiment .
Best of luck . :Yahoo!: bineetojha

Hi, the mark scheme says measure the time for the ball to fall a set of distance in oil, so should we describe it specifically in our own words how it works rather than writing it bold like the mark scheme

TSZ

Reaction score
Ya, I also need help in drawing error bars and then using to draw line of worst fit

Reaction score
Ya, I also need help in drawing error bars and then using to draw line of worst fit
can someone please explain to me how to draw error bars.....please.....:)
when u have found out the error like 0.5 +/- 0.2 then u plot 0.5 first and a line joining it to the point 0.2 units ABOVE 0.5 and 0.2 units BELOW 0.5, so u join three points 0.5, 0.7 and 0.3 with ure encircled point at 0.5....U dig ?....

Reaction score
when u have found out the error like 0.5 +/- 0.2 then u plot 0.5 first and a line joining it to the point 0.2 units ABOVE 0.5 and 0.2 units BELOW 0.5, so u join three points 0.5, 0.7 and 0.3 with ure encircled point at 0.5....U dig ?....

thanx bro it helps a lot....(y)....if u dont mind cn u help me with [papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge%20International%20A%20and%20AS%20Level/Physics%20(9702)/9702_s11_qp_51.pdf] question 2 part b uncertainities ]