• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics Paper 52 - Discussion

Reaction score
my gradient was 1.37X10^-6..dn know where i messed up.my graph was pretty good..this value messed up my plank constant value ...it was 7.31x10^-34
what value of marks do u think i will loose???:(

Reaction score
my gradient was 1.37X10^-6..dn know where i messed up.my graph was pretty good..this value messed up my plank constant value ...it was 7.31x10^-6
what value of marks do u think i will loose???:(
may be the range will be wider!!!!! my friend got that value also, but to be honest, my worst acceptable line had that gradient

Reaction score
cool stories guys. i see u all got a wide range of varying answers. lets hope they all lie within the range ascribed in the mark scheme :) ?
ya i got something ^-6 too but at the last minute when time was up i saw a huuuuuuge a$$ mistake where i didnt divide m and c by e, and so quickly wrote " /e " (without the "" lol) for part a, and only got time to calculate the value of -B/e .. and not the one before it. lost 2 pts. i was OHSOSAD :::::'(((((
but hey thats life and its pretty ironic the fact that i couldnt write more since my candidate number is reason i sit at the first desk, and hence when teacher says 'start', everyone begins writing and when teacher says 'stop' and yanks away my paper, everyone else is STILL writing.
pissed off? oh you bet i was. silly bs everywhere around me ffs.. but oh well.
regardless of that, it sure will make me feel better when i find out ive outperformed 3/4 of the school by several lengths ;-)

Reaction score
I used a ring coil and varied the height to vary the speed of dropping the magnet in question 1!

and I got confused in question 2,because values had to be given in 10^6 and they were originally in 10^9 So i did not know that :(
My gradient ws 1.38! But i forgot to write x10^6 D':
Left the last two parts because the time was over :'(
Think it went okay though!

Reaction score
My planck's constant was 6.9x10^-34 Js
What additional points did you all write for the first question?

Reaction score
I used a ring coil and varied the height to vary the speed of dropping the magnet in question 1!

and I got confused in question 2,because values had to be given in 10^6 and they were originally in 10^9 So i did not know that :(
My gradient ws 1.38! But i forgot to write x10^6 D':
Left the last two parts because the time was over :'(
Think it went okay though!
yeah i also forgot to write 10^6 , so this is encouraging. our answers are widespread and there is a lot of variation, i.e gt will be lower. keep it up people.

Reaction score
for how to vary velocity i think if u vary the height it would be wrong. i said u use a large height to ensure it reaches terminal velocity, and then glue masses to the magnet to increase the terminal velocity. if the height is not great enough, the magnet would be accelerating

Reaction score
I dont think it matters much if it reaches terminal velocity or not since the question said the velocity when the magnet leaves the coil. U can drop it from rest from a height h above end of coil and time the motion. then find v = gt

Reaction score
the formula v=gt is for uniformly accelerated motion, with air resistance acceleration is not constant

Reaction score
For a small height u can assume air resistance to be negligible,

I meant v = u + at but since u = 0 then v = at

Reaction score
ok but a magnet is not that heavy so it reaches terminal velocity very quickly.. and what if h was varied to such an extent that the ball reached terminal velocity? then h cannot be varied any higher or else the value of v will be the same and how would u calculate v when it reaches terminal velocity?

Reaction score
I think the height for the magnet to reach terminal velocity is way too great for us to reach in a laboratory. Maybe we just have to vary the height so that it doesnt reach t.velocity (within a certain range). That could have been an additional detail. But again I might be totally wrong. How did you vary speed?

Reaction score
well i think at least for first 5 seconds of motion of magnet its acceleration at most drops to 9.7m/s2 from 9.81, doesnt really matter