• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics paper1: the discussion.

Reaction score
Ask your questions here.

What is the answer for the question concerning the cut live wire which is protruding from the wall? Is it fire or electric shock.

What is the answer for the question concerning the wax thing, is it C?

Reaction score
I chose electric shock and that the wax is all solid, I am not very sure about my answer to the wax one.

Reaction score
ughh the exam was confusing i chose fire .. the wax i chose the arrow that pointed downwards cant remember which letter.
for the vaccum flask wht was the answer radiation convection conduction or all 3 or wht???
and 4 the magnet question when u reversed the battery i chose A both magnetised
hmm wht else for glass block wht was the answer ??

Reaction score
owhh and the question for the battery and the box of matches ... wht was the answer??

Reaction score
Radiation is the only one that can travel in vacuum (sun rays), so the answer would be convection and conduction only. For the matches and battery, I chose chemical for battery and internal thermal for matches. The thermometer I did it 0 and 100, because the lower fixed point is the temperature of pure melting ice and upper fixed point is for the pure boiling water, so it will be 0 and 100 no matter whirr the thermometer starts. I cant remember the reversed battery thing.

Reaction score
The match question i did it both chemical because i think the match has energy tarnsformation from chemical to heat ( thermal) energry

Reaction score
As far as i remember for anode question i've put "positive" charge for anode and "cold" for cathode ,and for candle question i guess arrow was going upwards since hot air always goes up due to its low mass compared to a cold air.

Reaction score
r u sure about the 'postive' and 'cold' bec some say its wrong!!.... i did the candle question like u :)

Reaction score
well , anode definetely has positive charge, nocomments.., and since cathode was earthed all of its current(source of heat) was transferred to earth, as a result the cathode got cold...

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
wolf said:
well , anode definetely has positive charge, nocomments.., and since cathode was earthed all of its current(source of heat) was transferred to earth, as a result the cathode got cold...
but see you electrical appliances which have a three pin plug ,one of them is the earth pin so does this mean that when you connect them they dont work just because they are earthed so the current goes to earth....
well may be you r right ,i wrote D=>+ve and hot!!

Reaction score
well.... Mathangel, i didn't get a little bit what you've said, no offence=)) But probably you are right, who knows, and still even though in m/j 2006 the answer was that ANODE was cold it doesn't really mean that cathode should be hot.. Nvd.....=)) by the way what did you answer on question about barometer?

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
C.thermal energy is given out by wax
cuz for boiling we know all thermal energy is taken in at boiling point t change the state so i thought ,would be opposite for melting!!

Reaction score
wat about the electromagnet question ?? steel and iron... i wrote neither will be magnitised. Bec steel is hard to be magnitised and iron easliy looses its magnitism.however, others say steel is magnitised only

Reaction score
yes i wrote C too since the change from liquid to gas is exothermic therefore the energy was given out ,chemistry helped a little bit=))) Anyways good luck on your exams tommorrow, hope you will do well:))

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
Zeinow said:
wat about the electromagnet question ?? steel and iron... i wrote neither will be magnitised. Bec steel is hard to be magnitised and iron easliy looses its magnitism.however, others say steel is magnitised only
same here....steel is magnetised i guess the qustion wud have mentioned that they become magnetised (not sure) btw wat did u write for the greatest hazard of bare wire..fire or electric shock...i had a confusion but i wrote shock!