• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics Practical/33 Info confirmation required

Reaction score
xenaprongs said:
oscialtion iz cming in q:1 and da torque one in q:2
and i have cnfrm dis!
and der eiz no elctricity ques in paper 33..

yu know that if the question sequences changes we have to learn the other questions errors then ! how sure are yu ?

Reaction score
well...if oscillation for 1st question then main points....
table....with correct headings and showing unit with each quantity...1 mark
same no. of d.p in raw data
s.f same as or one more in processed data....
in oscillations practical....at each independent variable ...u must perform a repeat and record this in ur table......have a heading for Tavg in ur table....u all knw graph marking scheme....SPBQ...meaning scale.....scale should be such that occupies at least half the grid bt also the examiner should nt be using calculator to find whether ur plots are correct or nt...scale should be such that it takes u 2 min to plot all points...plottiong points accurate to half a small square....Q...QUality mark judged by scatter abt the best fit line.......B...best fit line
no unit in gradient and y-intercept bt must mention unit in the values calculated at end....and those ansers to 3s.f
ERRORS
two readings of ..... and this.....not enuf to draw a valid conclusion
oscillations not in vert./horizontal/same plane
oscillations performed too quick so a large reaction time error.....
i heard oscillations will be using a cylinder....so other errors myt be because of that cylinder....

Reaction score
A teach. of mine has seen the confidential papers(ir) and he says its gonna be
(a) a moments question involving two wooden wedges, a ruler( the blue "made in china" one :p) some unknown masses(marbles,i think) and blu tack.
(b) an oscillation question involving paper, paper clips, a bulldog clip (what you use to hold a wad of papers), and a retort stand.

and yeah, no electricity question for paper 33, its entirely from mechanics.

Reaction score
Feelguud77 said:
A teach. of mine has seen the confidential papers(ir) and he says its gonna be
(a) a moments question involving two wooden wedges, a ruler( the blue "made in china" one :p) some unknown masses(marbles,i think) and blu tack.
(b) an oscillation question involving paper, paper clips, a bulldog clip (what you use to hold a wad of papers), and a retort stand.

and yeah, no electricity question for paper 33, its entirely from mechanics.
REALLY??????I mean if this is true than this is gonna be the best practical ever!!! :lol: :Bravo: :Bravo: :Bravo: :Yahoo!: :Yahoo!: :Yahoo!: 8) 8)

Reaction score
Teach also said it was gonna be difficult to set up the apparatus but you dont need to know that :p

Reaction score
I've heard it too!! That there'll be no electricity for paper 33 this timeeeee!!! From teachers!! Cheers!

Reaction score
princessazru said:
I've heard it too!! That there'll be no electricity for paper 33 this timeeeee!!! From teachers!! Cheers!
*Taps chest twice* Respect!, lol, Peace out Princess :p

Reaction score
Errors for oscillations:

Only a few readings are not enough to arrive at a justified conclusion. (Therefore, take several readings AND plot a graph to compare the results/average out/repeat experiement)

Oscillations are too fast and hence involving significant amount of uncertainty in measuring the time period. (Therefore, use a video camera AND play back in slow motion frame by frame/use of light gates/motion sensors)

Difficult to determine the extreme position reached. (Therefore, make use of a reference marker/obtain time period using a greater number of oscillations/use a heavier mass to reduce the time for each oscillation)

Difficult to determine length of the thread with the centre of the ball. (Therefore, use Vernier caliper to obtain AVERAGE diameter of the ball and divide by 2 to locate the centre of the bob)

Reaction score
hey, didn't you guys say that the moment of forces is gonna be in question 2? how come everybody is posting oscillation's error?

Reaction score
here are some ways to gain easy marks!!
you probably already know this stuff but some ppl lose marks easily by not following exactly...

1.repeat all readings and average. make sure the set of readings cover a whole rage fairly evenly

2.try to arrange for a single table which

-shows all readings, even the first and their averages
-has the correct units and quantities for each column
-has the same precision (no. of sig. figs.) choose a sensible no., usually 2 to 3

3.your graph should

-have each axis labelled w/ both quantity and unit
-occupy at least 5x7 squares(half the paper approx.) with YOUR plotted points
-ask yourself wether origin should be plotted and draw accordingly
-dont use an awkward scle (e.g. 1 square=3, 7, 9)
-have a clear neat thin line with points CIRCLED and plotted neatly!

4. in measuring the slope

-use at least half of drawn straight line
-show the coordinates you used for slope
-give ans. to 1 to 2 sig. figs. and dont forget units!

Reaction score
Xthegreat said:
hey, didn't you guys say that the moment of forces is gonna be in question 2? how come everybody is posting oscillation's error?

well you cant actually tell which question it will be. it could be Q1 or 2..