• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics Question???????????????????????

Reaction score
Guys could you please solve the question in the attachment it came in our school Physics exam. ;)

It looks a tiny bit difficult but any ways give it a try I know its very big so you can give your answer in parts like one time you give the answer of part 1 then the other or you cud do it in one go its up to you!!! :p

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 184
Reaction score
Sorry for the humungous attachment ..You could copy this JPG file by right clicking and then open in a suitable program like Microsoft PAINT :)

Reaction score
(a) P = VI
P = 6 x 1.6
P =9.6 Watts

(b)(i) the Hot Filament Emmit's electrons(thermionic Emmsion) which travels Through the the gap in a Vacuum condition , this happens because these emitted Electrons are Attracted by the positive ( +ive ) Plate" K " , Hence A Small Current is detected by the milliammeter

(ii) So that the there is no interference in traveling of Electrons :)

(iii)this Happens Because the Electrons are deflected towards once sideways Due to the Strong magnetic Field, Hence Less Electrons Strikes on Plate K , providing Less current

(iV) if the terminals are reversed the Plate K would be of negative (-ive) nature , hence the Electrons would be repelled because they are also Negative(ive) in Nature,Hence Less Electrons Strikes on Plate K , providing Less current

Reaction score
Well thanks for answering I would also like to know what topics these questions belong to and could you guys predict which board this question is from.I know only this much that its not an olevel paper but i may be wrong.
It would be good If you could find the Marking Scheme for this question. :)

THANKS. :D

Reaction score
In (b) (ii) The electrons would have ionized air if the glass vessel was not evacuated. The question was answered very well by Uxair.

Reaction score
(a)p=vi
p=(6x1.6)watt
(b)(i) the electrons transmitted from filament through thermionic emission are attracted to positively charged K plate.
(ii)to minimize the resistance to transmitted electrons form the filament.
(iii)this causes deflection of electrons towards the pole therefore somehow increasing the resistance and lowering the current.
(iv)The reading ob the mA would reduce...due to less amount of electrons striking the plate K.

Reaction score
scouserlfc said:
Well thanks for answering I would also like to know what topics these questions belong to and could you guys predict which board this question is from.I know only this much that its not an olevel paper but i may be wrong.

This is From O ' level Past paper ( paper 2) (section B ) question !
I Have No idea that to which Year does this question Belong
well for solving this question you Need to have little knowledge about ,formulas of electricity , Magnetism , and little general Physics Knowledge( like positive + negative = attract , Negative + Negative = Repel ,Positive + positive = repel)

Chem_master said:
(a)p=vi
p=(6x1.6)watt
(b)(i) the electrons transmitted from filament through thermionic emission are attracted to positively charged K plate.
(ii)to minimize the resistance to transmitted electrons form the filament.
(iii)this causes deflection of electrons towards the pole therefore somehow increasing the resistance and lowering the current.
(iv)The reading ob the mA would reduce...due to less amount of electrons striking the plate K.

i have No clues Why you are Solving this Again when SomeOne Already have Solved it :geek:
By the way it's better Not to use the Word resistance over here !
examiner Might think of the Other resistance i.e R = V / I

Reaction score
resistance is valid here.....examiner is not a fool to think of v=ir....he clearly knows that we r talkin about air resistance

Reaction score
Chem_master said:
resistance is valid here.....examiner is not a fool to think of v=ir....he clearly knows that we r talkin about air resistance
It's Not At All Valid , you can ask any physics teacher :
by the way my Job was to Just warn you and give friendly Advice , Now it's Up to you :)

Reaction score
Uxair in which school do u study and do u take tuitions for physics or not ? :O (Just curious)

Reaction score
scouserlfc said:

found ittt.....this is question # 11 or 2 of november 2008 paper 2......