• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

PHYSICS UNIT 3

Reaction score
the last one was B and the line should touch the origin

Oh damnit! I didn't want to force the line through origin, so I guess that affects the marks I get for the gradient as well?

What did you write for the ways to use the values obtained in the experiment?

Reaction score
Oh damnit! I didn't want to force the line through origin, so I guess that affects the marks I get for the gradient as well?

What did you write for the ways to use the values obtained in the experiment?

find work done = mgh
then plot graph of workdone against time
then find the gradient
g= power

Reaction score
hey ppl for the mcq..i think number 4 and 5, what were your options? the last 2 mcqs were trick ones!.. what about the question with the circuit? what were your answers?

Reaction score
hey ppl for the mcq..i think number 4 and 5, what were your options? the last 2 mcqs were trick ones!.. what about the question with the circuit? what were your answers?

I think the MCQs were pretty obvious when you really think, I answered C and D, inverse of gradient and area under graph

For circuit, I wrote that the variable resistor is used to vary the voltage and current to obtain a set of readings to plot on a graph. I also said that you could lower the voltage to lower the current and thus reduce heating effect of wire affecting resistance though I am not too sure about that one.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think the MCQs were pretty obvious when you really think, I answered C and D, inverse of gradient and area under graph

For circuit, I wrote that the potential divider is used to vary the voltage and current to obtain a set of readings to plot on a graph. I also said that you could lower the voltage to lower the current and thus reduce heating effect of wire affecting resistance though I am not too sure about that one.
For question no. 6a regarding that high resistance in voltmeter,i also mentioned about the heating effect of wire! Bt my friend wrote about concept of short-circuit.He wrote current is a flow of electons and electron move through the least resistive path. If voltage in voltmeter is less then current wud pass through the voltmeter instead of the wire n so the experiment wudnt' be fair. Was his answer right???

Reaction score
For question no. 6a regarding that high resistance in voltmeter,i also mentioned about the heating effect of wire! Bt my friend wrote about concept of short-circuit.He wrote current is a flow of electons and electron move through the least resistive path. If voltage in voltmeter is less then current wud pass through the voltmeter instead of the wire n so the experiment wudnt' be fair. Was his answer right???

If you're talking about the question where they ask you why the voltmeter has a very high resistance the answer is because current gets split in parallel circuits and the high resistance ensures that a negligible amount of current goes through the voltmeter. So as to ensure that the wire gets all the current.