• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Playing video games may help to become laparoscopic surgeons

Reaction score
Playing video games may help children to become laparoscopic surgeons.

Altered brain activity can lead to better control of other skilled movements.

Playing video games for hours on end may prepare your child to become a laparoscopic surgeon one day, a new study has shown. Reorganisation of the brain's cortical network in young men with significant experience playing video games gives them an advantage not only in playing the games but also in performing other tasks requiring visuomotor skills. The findings are published in the October 2010 issue of Elsevier's Cortex.

Researchers from the Centre for Vision Research at York University in Canada compared a group of 13 young men in their twenties, who had played video games at least four hours a week for the previous three years, to a group of 13 young men without that experience. The subjects were placed in a functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) machine and asked to complete a series of increasingly difficult visuomotor tasks, such as using a joystick or looking one way while reaching another way.

"By using high resolution brain imaging (fMRI), we were able to actually measure which brain areas were activated at a given time during the experiment," said Lauren Sergio, associate professor in the Faculty of Health at York University. "We tested how the skills learned from video game experience can transfer over to new tasks, rather than just looking at brain activity while the subject plays a video game."

The study found that during the tasks the less experienced gamers were relying most on the parietal cortex (the brain area typically involved in hand-eye coordination), whereas the experienced gamers showed increased activity in the prefrontal cortex at the front of the brain.

The finding that using visuomotor skills can reorganize how the brain works offers hope for future research into the problems experienced by Alzheimer's patients, who struggle to complete the simplest visuomotor tasks.

Lead author Joshua Granek added that, in future, it would be interesting to study if the brain pattern changes are affected by the type of video games a player has used and the actual total number or hours he has played, and to study female video gamers, whose brain patterns in earlier studies were different than those of males.

SOURCE York University in Canada. http://www.news-medical.net/news/201009 ... geons.aspx

Reaction score
Re: Playing video games may help to become laparoscopic surg

search it on wikipedia also, this new study has recently founded in October, 2010. More experience of playing video games = more chances to become laparoscopic surgeons.

Anyone who plays video games a lot and very much interested in Biology can go to this field, study about it on Wikipedia and see videos of biologists.

I m very much addicted to video games from my childhood. The best game of mine is FIFA (all series till FIFA 11)

I was in Kuwait when we bought PS One and we used to play FIFA 1994, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 2000.

And in personal computer I used to install FIFA and Cricket games. About FIFA my experience increased as time passed. We bought PS 2 then, in which me and my brothers also my cousins we all used to play tag team matches in FIFA World Cup Germany 2006, FIFA 05, 06, 07, 08, 09 and 10 a bit.

When we saw it on PS3 and Xbox 360 we found that the graphics, resolution and reality of FIFA increased a lot. My cousins bought PS3 n they went USA, me and my brothers and some other cousins decided to buy Xbox 360 for experiencing it first time. We founded the difference between XBOX and PS3.

Now I m so much crazy about FIFA 11 that i used to play tournaments, leagues, premierships, cups and challenges in gaming websites. I won many awards in it and also some cash. When i read this study i got it fully that playing video games can help new generation to become laparoscopic surgeons.

So who is interested in gaming should focus more on it and get experience as it is new study you can go in medical. You should read and watch the videos of the study and the patients who suffer from Alzheimer disease.

The word laparoscopic is so modern that even when we write in google chrome or firefox , the words with wrong spellings get underlined and in the word laparoscopic it does.

Reaction score

you can visit my profiles in the gaming sites where a single Pakistan player played and when I entered that site i get my wins in FIFA 10 and finished 2nd in the ladder. The current FIFA 11 2nd ladder is going on in which i played 5 games n Alhamdulillah 5 won.

In the 1st ladder I stood 3rd from 55 users and tonight i just played the play-offs for cash prizes the top 16 in the ladder play it and i lost because in the site i m going to tell you the world top players of FIFA from all over the world plays.

Reaction score
Reaction score

keep up the good work dear i also play video games but not now a days bcs of send-ups :cry:

Reaction score

thanks bro....in which field u want to go? and in which year of O levels r u studying?

Reaction score

i m in C-2 i will appear in three papers pak.std,isl,urdu next year and rest 5 papers in 2012 my shcool has this rule of appearing so i have to obey it and its pretty good

Reaction score

great....i followed the same rule......now i m in last year....i finished pre-O level (one year) , S-1 (second year) n now last one with bio, physics, chemistry, maths and English..u r in which city?

Reaction score

in Mandi, Burewala punjab Pakistan 4 hours distance from lahore......and do u have facebook?

Reaction score

what's ur fb ? send me ur fb link in messages

Reaction score

ok thanks.....i sent u a request accept it

Reaction score

i already accepted ur friend request hassan :)

Reaction score

yeah i do know but why students don't read this information?

Reaction score

@hassan i read it but whats the big theory about it can u explain properly how can i become a laproscopic surgeon playing games??? ;)

Reaction score

@jamil yeah why not?

playing video games like FIFA 11, black ops n nfs shift etc improve the skills n experience of children if u r playing a game from 10 years surely u will get experience n ur skills will improve....like ps3 n xbox 360 wireless remotes r there n in laparoscopy the doctor treat the patient who is suffering from Alzhiemer disease the patient is abnormal n his or her brain is not like the brain of intelligent n genius person the instruments that r used in surgery r like wireless in the abdomen the screen is there like in games u have tv n just from the instruments u treat the patients......anything confusing??????