• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Private Candidate HELP

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Currently I'm doing the CIE AS exams and next year i want to do Maths, Further Maths and Physics for my A-Levels as a private candidate. The thing I'm confused about is how will I prepare for the Physics practical exams, and where will I do them?

Reaction score
Preparing as a private candidate is tough, specially for practicals, but try to arrange with your Examination Centre some practice lessons. If they provide the exams they probably are equiped to give lessons on pratical exams as well. Make sure to get Revision guides (they're cheap on amazon or ebay used) because they have a lot of insight on what to do in practicals as well.

Hope this helped, and good luck next year!

Reaction score
I did all my practicals at a private tuition academy. See if there's one in your city that provides that service.

Reaction score
heyy guys , i am new here , and i want help urgently ..
i want to know if i do my A LEVELS PRIVATELY AND IN ONE YEAR , will i be able to get admission in top uni's , and how will i apply without my AS results , as well as admission of universities closes by last june and i cant apply till then as my result will come out by august , so please need advice and fast ..
thank you​

Reaction score
physics practicals are not so hard, you just need to get little practice in lab and get acquainted with the apparatus. Read the back pages of physics endorsed book about practical paper tips and you are good to go.

Reaction score
heyy guys , i am new here , and i want help urgently ..​
i want to know if i do my A LEVELS PRIVATELY AND IN ONE YEAR , will i be able to get admission in top uni's , and how will i apply without my AS results , as well as admission of universities closes by last june and i cant apply till then as my result will come out by august , so please need advice and fast ..​
thank you​

Doing A-levels privately and in one year is unlikely to have much of an effect on your admission compared to if you did them in two years or with a college. Some universities might be impressed at your self-motivation, but others might expect more from you since you haven't had to deal with the complexities of college life/you might not be in such a good social position to tackle universities. Certainly the top universities (speaking as a Cambridge student) mainly care about your grades and interview performance.
You don't need AS grades to apply - A-levels are just an extension of AS-levels anyway, so once you have an A-level grade, the AS-level doesn't count as anything. AS-levels are only valid by themselves.
In terms of timing for university applications, normally it's best to apply between October-December with some realistic predicted grades. That way, there is time for the university to schedule interviews and so on. They may then give you an offer conditional upon the results you get in August. For example, I received offers of places, as long as I got A*AAA at A-level in August. You don't need actual results when you make your application.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Reaction score
Im pretty much in the same situation,i got a DDE in my AS recently..now im planing on to go private..cause the tution teachers are much better than the school ones..all im worried about is if the university will accept me if im a private student..i have my aims high this time..thats the only thing im worried about...plus universities wont accept me with these grades..but im repeating in january..so i really dont know what to tell them while im applying..it would be really kind of you to help me with this.[/quote]

Reaction score
If you're planning to retake your AS exams, then they probably haven't been certificated, which means that you don't HAVE to declare them on your university application. You can then just submit predicted grades. It's really important, though, that these predicted grades are realistic, otherwise they'll set you an offer based on that grade, and if you don't make the grades you'll be left with nowhere to go. Have a good think about why you got the grades you did, and what you can do differently next time. Tuition isn't everything - the teachers can't do the exam for you - so you need to be really sure that you can improve on your score before you submit high predicted grades.

Reaction score
ohh okayy! thanks alot tho..i really am trying my best to get better grades...i guess ill ask my tutors to make the expected grades for the universities application after all they would know best about my performance..im definetly going to give in much time now..in june i just had a months preparation..im glad i passed :/..anyways thanks alot for your help :D if i gotta know anything ill surely message you around

Reaction score
Doing A-levels privately and in one year is unlikely to have much of an effect on your admission compared to if you did them in two years or with a college. Some universities might be impressed at your self-motivation, but others might expect more from you since you haven't had to deal with the complexities of college life/you might not be in such a good social position to tackle universities. Certainly the top universities (speaking as a Cambridge student) mainly care about your grades and interview performance.
You don't need AS grades to apply - A-levels are just an extension of AS-levels anyway, so once you have an A-level grade, the AS-level doesn't count as anything. AS-levels are only valid by themselves.
In terms of timing for university applications, normally it's best to apply between October-December with some realistic predicted grades. That way, there is time for the university to schedule interviews and so on. They may then give you an offer conditional upon the results you get in August. For example, I received offers of places, as long as I got A*AAA at A-level in August. You don't need actual results when you make your application.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
I dont get it. AS level counts as nothing? What?

Reaction score
AS grades are like a stepping stone to A2 - if you can get to the full A2 without using that stepping stone then it doesn't matter. They're still useful, as ExoticPlayer09 said, for making applications to unis, as it makes it really clear what you're capable of achieving.

Reaction score
AS grades are like a stepping stone to A2 - if you can get to the full A2 without using that stepping stone then it doesn't matter. They're still useful, as ExoticPlayer09 said, for making applications to unis, as it makes it really clear what you're capable of achieving.
Oh okay...I finished my O level this year...and now I'm thinking to give eco, business and ICT in May/June 2013 privately and I want to give both the AS and A2 level...Is that fine?

Reaction score
Oh okay...I finished my O level this year...and now I'm thinking to give eco, business and ICT in May/June 2013 privately and I want to give both the AS and A2 level...Is that fine?
Yes of course - all I'm trying to say is that AS levels only count by themselves. As soon as you convert them into A2 levels, then the AS effectively stops existing.

Reaction score
are there alternative to practicals in a'levels?please tell me.i want to take AS and A2 privately!! help i have wasted a lot of my time!

Reaction score
Can candidates privately sit the General Paper, Environmental management, global perspectives, marine science, travel and tourism exams?

Reaction score
Can candidates privately sit the General Paper, Environmental management, global perspectives, marine science, travel and tourism exams?

check british counil website and registration form for private students if there is subject available then yes