• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Retaking

Reaction score
I have a question concerning retaking O levels. Imagine someone gets a B in say, Urdu, in May, and then plans on retaking it in October. Urdu is the only subject he takes in October. So, if he gets an A, the B grade will be replaced with ths new A grade, won't it? However, if he gets a B again or maybe even a C, which is far more worse, can he dispose of the result he got in October, such as by ripping up the result card of October or something of the sort and making it se he never retook the Urdu in October and got the more worse grade, or will the result of the retake be permanently saved in the cadidate's examination history, thus making the C grade in october visible to universities?

Reaction score
I have a question concerning retaking O levels. Imagine someone gets a B in say, Urdu, in May, and then plans on retaking it in October. Urdu is the only subject he takes in October. So, if he gets an A, the B grade will be replaced with ths new A grade, won't it? However, if he gets a B again or maybe even a C, which is far more worse, can he dispose of the result he got in October, such as by ripping up the result card of October or something of the sort and making it se he never retook the Urdu in October and got the more worse grade, or will the result of the retake be permanently saved in the cadidate's examination history, thus making the C grade in october visible to universities?
If the next grade is lower,universities will accept the former grade, i.e the better one.

Reaction score
But doesn't retaking give a bad impression, becauase I have a hunch many universities, especially the Pakistani universities that convert these grades into equivalencies, find out about these retakes, because schools give both the original and retaken grades, including mine.

Reaction score
You can discard the bad result, and not show it to the universities.

This can only be done *before* you get your result. You ask Cambridge to discard your grade BEFORE you get your result. But if lets say you're giving Urdu and that alone, and you don't like its grade, just don't show the result card when applying or making an equivalence.

But doesn't retaking give a bad impression, becauase I have a hunch many universities, especially the Pakistani universities that convert these grades into equivalencies, find out about these retakes, because schools give both the original and retaken grades, including mine.

Depends. LUMS asks for 6 O Levels including compulsories, so you can't get away with not showing Urdu, but you can get away with not showing the retake. If you choose to do that, then you will also have to not show the other grades you got in that sitting.

However, it's not a bad thing, retakes. If you improve, it shows uni's that you're determined, you want to improve and B's are unacceptable to you, as a student. If you don't improve, well, that can be a problem. Some uni's see it as you being determined to improve, and some see it as the inability to improve despite trying.

Regardless, it's not such a big deal. O levels don't play this much a role in admissions, especially not Urdu Pk St Isl etc.
Go for a retake if your heart cannot accept a B. However, I'll highly recommend clinging onto this B and taking up an extra subject or two instead.

Uni's apart from LUMS ask for IBCC equivalences, and when you get that made, they don't even see your Urdu Pk St Isl grades (A Level - FSc equivalence.) so all this is immaterial.