• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

SAT II vs CIE A Level

Reaction score
What is the difference between the CIE and SAT syllabuses for these 4 subjects:- Math II, Physics, Chemistry and Biology?

1. I would appreciate if you could give a more detailed comparison. For your information, I have read up almost all the A-Level syllabuses for these four subjects and would like to know what else to study to prepare for SAT. The syllabus described by College Board is far too general and broad. One could easily get away with thinking that the SAT Chemistry Subject Test would require knowledge at IGCSE level (for me, at least).

Reaction score
What is the difference between the CIE and SAT syllabuses for these 4 subjects:- Math II, Physics, Chemistry and Biology?

1. I would appreciate if you could give a more detailed comparison. For your information, I have read up almost all the A-Level syllabuses for these four subjects and would like to know what else to study to prepare for SAT. The syllabus described by College Board is far too general and broad. One could easily get away with thinking that the SAT Chemistry Subject Test would require knowledge at IGCSE level (for me, at least).

I've given SAT II in Biology, Physics and Chemistry. So The first thing you should do is to get the Baron's books for these subjects. I didn't check any of the syllabuses on College Board's website but I stuck to these books and they pretty much cover all the possible topics that can be examined in the tests. If you've studied the A level course thoroughly, then you will have covered many of the chapters in all these three subjects. However, there are some unfamiliar chapters that you will have to deal with.

I'll make a list of the topics included in SAT that are not covered in A Levels. I'm using Baron's as a guide, so the list is based on the chapters contained in those books.

Physics:
-Angular Momentum
-Expansion and Contraction (part of Heat and Temperature)
-Heat and Work
-Doppler Effect (Part of Wave Motion and Sound)
-Geometrical Optics
-some topics of Physical Optics are likely to be unfamiliar
-Electrical meters (Part of Magnetism)
-Transmitter-Receiver (Part of Elements of Electronics, but if you've covered all the Applications of A Level Physics, you should be okay here)
-Atomic Models and Particle Accelerators (Part of Quantum Theory and Nuclear Physics)
-Special Relativity

Chemistry:
-Liquids, solids and Phase changes
-Nucleonics
-The Laboratory

Biology:
-Evolution
-Taxonomy
-Animal Physiology
-Human Physiology
-Embryonic Development (Part of Reproduction and Development)
-Animal Behaviour
-Ecology

It's still a good idea to go over all the topics and do their relevant chapter tests, instead of only the ones mentioned above unless you're really short on time or something. I also used the website www.sparknotes.com. Their tests and chapters are really helpful.

I hope that helps.

Reaction score
I've given SAT II in Biology, Physics and Chemistry and I got 2400, Alhamdulillah. The first thing you should do is to get the Baron's books for these subjects. I didn't check any of the syllabuses on College Board's website but I stuck to these books and they pretty much cover all the possible topics that can be examined in the tests. If you've studied the A level course thoroughly, then you will have covered many of the chapters in all these three subjects. However, there are some unfamiliar chapters that you will have to deal with.

I'll make a list of the topics included in SAT that are not covered in A Levels. I'm using Baron's as a guide, so the list is based on the chapters contained in those books.

Physics:
-Angular Momentum
-Expansion and Contraction (part of Heat and Temperature)
-Heat and Work
-Doppler Effect (Part of Wave Motion and Sound)
-Geometrical Optics
-some topics of Physical Optics are likely to be unfamiliar
-Electrical meters (Part of Magnetism)
-Transmitter-Receiver (Part of Elements of Electronics, but if you've covered all the Applications of A Level Physics, you should be okay here)
-Atomic Models and Particle Accelerators (Part of Quantum Theory and Nuclear Physics)
-Special Relativity

Chemistry:
-Liquids, solids and Phase changes
-Nucleonics
-The Laboratory

Biology:
-Evolution
-Taxonomy
-Animal Physiology
-Human Physiology
-Embryonic Development (Part of Reproduction and Development)
-Animal Behaviour
-Ecology

It's still a good idea to go over all the topics and do their relevant chapter tests, instead of only the ones mentioned above unless you're really short on time or something. I also used the website www.sparknotes.com. Their tests and chapters are really helpful.

I hope that helps.

Thank you very much!:D

Reaction score

I gave all four last year. Personally I think Princeton books are more relevant. ( I studied from Princeton AND Barrons and quite frankly barrons is just not good enough). The level of SAT is ,in my opinion, that of AS. Obviously there are chapters which are from A2 level too but if u cmpare the MCQs of SAT II they are way easier than paper 1 and in Maths there is no Integration differentiation :) . Also the Bio and Maths in SAT II although not difficult contains chapters which A levels students haven't studied

Reaction score
I gave all four last year. Personally I think Princeton books are more relevant. ( I studied from Princeton AND Barrons and quite frankly barrons is just not good enough). The level of SAT is ,in my opinion, that of AS. Obviously there are chapters which are from A2 level too but if u cmpare the MCQs of SAT II they are way easier than paper 1 and in Maths there is no Integration differentiation :) . Also the Bio and Maths in SAT II although not difficult contains chapters which A levels students haven't studied
when did u give ur SAT exams and ur alevels