• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Secrets behind an A* of English as a second Language ideas share here !!

Reaction score
Well as far as I know there no secret behind getting an A* or anything like that . The golden rule is to practice as if you're the worst one and to perform as if you're the best one . Make sure you check Alisson Digger's Book too , It's very helpful and highly recommended by examiners .

Reaction score
Well as far as I know there no secret behind getting an A* or anything like that . The golden rule is to practice as if you're the worst one and to perform as if you're the best one . Make sure you check Alisson Digger's Book too , It's very helpful and highly recommended by examiners .

I did practiced a lot like every single past paper and even that book but still I get B's....I dunoo !

Reaction score
English SL is one of the easiest exams . All what u have to concentrate at is how to write a letter,summary or an article as they have most of the marks.

First for the Summary

• Underline the most important points needed, Depending on what is asked for
  • From the main article just use the important phrases,that u cant change and make sure u use ur own words
  • Reread your summary,make sure all the underlined points are covered ( Not less than the needed which is 6 )
  • Do not use your opinion,ideas or suggestions
  • Do not write less than 100 or more than 120 words
  • Make sure you got no title or more than 1 paragraph

Second for the Letter

• If your letter is to be formal, make sure you use a formal style of language
  • Use Different Adverbs and Adjectives Not the normal ones
  • Nine marks are given for you content , and another nine marks for the used language, so work hard ;D
  • Stay with the topic,so don't talk about something different, you have a word limit !
  • Remember if its formal use Dear Mr./Mrs.(Last name ), Not the 1st. And use in the end Sincerely,Yours Faithfully
  • Try to use 3 Paragraphs, 1 as an introduction 2 as the body ( main ) 3 for the conclusion

Third the Article

• Article is different you will have to use a Title,and about 3/4 Parapgraphs
  • There will be ideas given in the question that can help you, Try to use always a ratio of 1:1 or 1:2 in the advantages and disadvantages
  • Make sure u write between 150 and 200 words
  • Show organisation of facts, ideas
    and opinions
  • Try to Describe Related situations

Sorry if i dont have all covered ive already done it and cant remember all the points, but i tried to cover the most important ones ;)

But still work hard mate ;)

Good luck

Last edited:
Reaction score
English SL is one of the easiest exams . All what u have to concentrate at is how to write a letter,summary or an article as they have most of the marks.

First for the Summary

• From the main article just use the important phrases,that u cant change and make sure u use ur own words
  • Reread your summary,make sure all the underlined points are covered ( Not less than the needed which is 6 )

Second for the Letter

• Nine marks are given for you content , and another nine marks for the used language, so work hard ;D
  • Stay with the topic,so don't talk about something different, you have a word limit !
  • Remember if its formal use Dear Mr./Mrs.(Last name ), Not the 1st. And use in the end Sincerely,Yours Faithfully
  • Try to use 3 Paragraphs, 1 as an introduction 2 as the body ( main ) 3 for the conclusion

Third the Article

• There will be ideas given in the question that can help you, Try to use always a ratio of 1:1 or 1:2 in the advantages and disadvantages
    and opinions

Sorry if i dont have all covered ive already done it and cant remember all the points, but i tried to cover the most important ones ;)

Good luck

I REmember this is all I did but still I got a B...Inshallah let me give it another try with ur tips once more thanks a bunch :D

Reaction score

First for the Summary

Second for the Letter

Third the Article

and opinions

Good luck

whO CHECks for you those writings and sees ur mistakes ?